Therapy - when to quit?

This post is probably going to sound very rambling... so I apologize in advance!

I've been in therapy about 8 months now (going once every other week, so not super frequently). Initially when I went I had a few minor issues I wanted to work through (getting through a past break up), nothing too major. After some time in therapy I realized I had more issues than what I initially thought and have been better able to express my feelings, relate to people better, etc... I still have some things I want to work on - the primary thing right now is that I am way too hard on myself, too overcritical (I guess everyone is to some extent). Lately, although we haven't been talking about anything too emotional at therapy I've just been feeling like I am overthinking my anxiety, symptoms, feelings, why do I feel a certain way, etc... I know it can get worse before it gets better, and it was getting better so I'm wondering if it's time to quit going or to hang in there a while longer. So I guess my question is, how do you know when to stop going to therapy? My therapist has basically told me that I can decide when I want to stop.

Well if you feel like you're in a good place it might be a good idea to quit. I would suggest working out something where you can still see your therapist, just far less frequently. Maybe once a month as like a check in to see if you really do feel stable and are still progressing? Then eventually once you know for sure you can quit altogether.

Best of luck!

I have always wondered if people become too dependent on therapy, as if replacing their therapist with their own ability to emotionally process their issues. In my opinion, when your emotions get to a point where the negatively affect your life to the point of being unable to function, you need therapy. However if you have gained skills and techniques from therapy on how to deal with your issues, you should implement them and further develop those necessary skills and strengths. I think a useful analogy would be comparing this to the usage of antibiotics, they will eradicate a cold and provide immediate relief but your immune system will not be as developed. However there are times which antibiotics are vital when someone is critically ill.

Therapy to me is a double edged sword. But only you can know what is best for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I don't actually feel like I'm dependent on it, just feel like at times it causes me to overanalyze my thought patterns and I get into this cycle where I feel like I'm mentally going crazy. I don't know whether this is attributable to therapy or not, just was wondering for those that have done therapy how did you know when you were ready to stop going? I feel like there is always work to be done, but maybe at some point I will feel more comfortable handling that on my own and won't need my therapist.

Archived