What the heck just happened?

kaoticbaby

Picture this...

You've worked for a company for almost 3 years, since the month they first opened. Never took a sick day, and only take days off with months notice.

One day the owner hires a new manager, who for the next year alternates between trying to be your best friend, and screaming at you in front of other employees while talking behind your back. She gets you promoted to her assistant manager, then proceeds to spend every day tearing you apart for everything you try to do. During one of her "BFF" weeks, while her husband and your boyfriend were becoming good friends as well, she asked you to go on vacation with them. You're evidently an idiot, and can't hold a grudge, and agreed (dropping $1000.)

Fast forward, and her hot-and-cold swings continue. One day, while out to dinner as friends, she tells you that you deserve a raise. She wakes you up the next morning with texts that she convinced the owner to give you said raise, told him all the reasons why she thinks you deserve it, and to schedule an evaluation with him.

Evaluation day comes up, and you get to spend an entire hour getting yelled at by the owner for even daring to think you deserve (a whole 1$) raise. She's in the room, agreeing with him. He even goes as far as blaming your family and upbringing (?!?!) for your use of the phrase "try to work harder," and tells you to look up "try" in the dictionary.

Meanwhile, you never even asked for the raise to begin with. And it's not like she has any ulterior motives, since she herself is moving to a different state in a few months.

I can't stop scratching my head....

I'm not sure why she set you up, but I've worked with a few people like this. All in retail settings (women's clothing) Lots of back biting and manipulation, so it's a tough gig. My only advice is to document everything and keep emails and texts.

My daughter worked as an assistant manager to a crazy woman and ended up secretly video taping her as she was having a fit on the sales floor. She even captured her flipping over a shelf in a rage! After the video was shown to the District Sales Manager, she got a transfer to another store.

Good luck! Hopefully the owners figure out what she's like...

I'm not sure why she set you up, but I've worked with a few people like this. All in retail settings (women's clothing) Lots of back biting and manipulation, so it's a tough gig. My only advice is to document everything and keep emails and texts.

My daughter worked as an assistant manager to a crazy woman and ended up secretly video taping her as she was having a fit on the sales floor. She even captured her flipping over a shelf in a rage! After the video was shown to the District Sales Manager, she got a transfer to another store.

Good luck! Hopefully the owners figure out what she's like...

Thank you for replying! I'm really stressing over this.

I do like my job, and was told I was being promoted, and then... this.

The owner is never around and is pretty much in love with my manager, she can do no wrong in his eyes. All he does is compare me to her (and I've been around over two years longer.)

I need to look for a new job, I know that. But the anxieties kick in like crazy... what if I leave, and the new job doesn't work out? I've been laid off before...twice! I need the money, I can't afford not to work. I feel like I put in a lot of effort and was made to feel like a piece of crap instead. It's driving me crazy.

Archived