Do You Believe In Soul Mates?

NinjaLink

PAdreamer

Homer Simpson once spent an entire harrowing and hallucinatory episode in search of his true soulmate, only to eventually discover that it was Marge all along. Lucky guy.

Dean

Season 8 Episode 162 "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer" (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)

link removed

Homer: Wow, Marge, you really do understand me. See, I thought we weren't soulmates, because...

Marge: ... because we had a fight?

Homer: Right, and we don't like the same things. It's like you're from Venus...

Marge: ...and you're from Mars.

Homer: Oh, sure, give me the one with all the scary monsters.

PAdreamer wrote:

Let me clarify my views. I don't think that "soul mates" and "lovers" are always the same person. You can have a really close friend that you have that same string connection with, but there doesn't have to be any romance for them to be your soul mate. If your soul mate and your lover happen to be the same person, I'd say you lucked out. That is somewhat rare, in my opinion. But no, I don't believe that "love" and "soul mates" are automatically connected.

PAdreamer

• 1 month later...

I think we never really believe in soulmates until we find someone that we have an intense connection with. I think you can meet several people throughout your life that you may have a deep, meaningful connection with on an almost spiritual level. But if you ask me, just thinking that there's a single person out there to "complete" you doesn't sound realistic to me. You can "click" with several people throughout your life.

Well said, Double J. I totally agree with this.

But I wonder if a soulmate can be built over time in the same way that you build close friends by spending time, i.e., months, even years with the person.

I agree that you can definitely click with many people throughout your life. It's true that we can all find "chemistry" with many different people.

And maybe chemistry can be confused with other emotions or attractions at other times.

11Flower

Spartan,

But as far as your hobbies and working out in the gym and activities like these, wouldn't you still want to continue them whether or not you met a soulmate? It sounds that you might be very into your hobbies, but your soulmate may not be such to you. I'm not trying to mock you, but why should a soulmate, when you meet her, take the time away from fitness goals and interests as if she were just another one to add to the list?

11Flower

I think we never really believe in soulmates until we find someone that we have an intense connection with. I think you can meet several people throughout your life that you may have a deep, meaningful connection with on an almost spiritual level. But if you ask me, just thinking that there's a single person out there to "complete" you doesn't sound realistic to me. You can "click" with several people throughout your life.

That's a good way to put it. I would've said something along those lines myself.

this might sound odd coming from me. i'm 32, but have never been in a relationship. so what can i poss. contribute?

what i do have are some close friends in very strong marriages/relationships. if i asked those friends when they first began their relationship whether they had met their soulmate, perhaps one or two might say yes. if i ask now, i'm certain that mostly everyone would agree that they are with their soulmate now. so what's the difference? dedication and time and a mutual giving and hard work. love is as much an action as a feeling.

of course this isn't easy, and you can't be blamed for a cheating partner (unless you neglect/abuse them).

everyone has different relational needs. some are more obvious. some partners are more able to fulfill those needs immediately. sometimes we're more receptive to someone who possesses certain qualities that we desire. for these reasons people appear to be our soulmates. there are, of course, instances where two people are well suited, and they manage to fulfill each other's dreams. but this isn't that often.

returning to my first point: in a relationship where each partner is dedicated to hard work and mutual giving, i see these relationships, much more often than not, are incredibly resilient to disappointment and grief (in one of my closest friendships, cancer and infertility). they also tend to be more able to love those around them. and yes, they become each other's soulmate.

their soulmate didn't land on their plate. they struggled to develop such a relationship. i don't believe anything could compare to those relatioships. are there dissagreements? sure. a soulmate isn't someone who placates to your every desire (in fact that's more of a warning than anything else). but they will try to help you become all you can be. and it's a mtutal thing. when you love you tend to want to give.

so, do i think soulmates are real? yes. but much more through effort than fairy wishes. love, afterall is an action as much, if not more, than it is a feeling. ask any parent.

If they walk away then they weren't your true soulmate to begin with. What makes things so hard is that sometimes we believe we have found our soulmates but it turns out to be a red herring. Then we grow bitter and lose hope. Still, that doesn't mean our soulmates aren't out there. And it's all the false hope and disappointments that make even more wonderful when we do find that soulmate we've longed for.