Neighbors driving us mad and hitting their child!

lerenard

Hey there. We have an apartment with by man, I just moved in with him this spring. Shortly after that our neighbors from first floor started arguing every day and every night. There was just a couple at first, now there is also a small boy living there. One night the woman was screaming that the guy is hitting her, so we called police, they came because we were not the only ones calling because of that - a lot of people can hear them. After that there was a quite week or so, and now they are back again - with a child! They are both alcoholics and I guess drug addicts too, since we can often hear them talking about drugs or going to pawnshop to get some money. They scream to each other on the daily bases, and now they are also screaming to a small baby boy they have there. They are fighting all the time, driving us mad. They can start at 5PM and it wont stop when we are up in the morning to go to our jobs. Weekend as well. I mean all the time. I tried to write a polite announcement and pinned it to the bulletin board, but it was torn in a moment. Police wont do anything as well, I had these problems before they just come, right something down and go away, saying something like "call us if there will be something serious". So I guess when someone gets murdered they will be there, but domestic violence and continuing violation of the public order is not their business. Someone had these problems?

Can I do something? I don't care about these two jerks, I think they lost their life already, but the baby boy screams and cries 24/7, ask mama and daddy not to hit him, at 12PM he is still not in bed, my heart breaks everyday just thinking about his life there.

I think you need to call CPS and get a report going. Chances are, others have done the same. That little boy needs help and needs to get away from abusive parents. Contacting CPS is the best way to get things rolling.

My hear hurts for him. My boyfriend grew up with drug addicted parents and his mom was very abusive and beat him for hours, for years. If someone like you had given a crap, he could have possibly gotten put of that situation a lot sooner and maybe he wouldn't have quite the number of emotional issues that he does today.

I really hope you will do something

Some people just want to say that it's not their business and not be bothered. The truth is, it is your business. An abused child is more likely to grow up and abuse others. This causes pain and costs us all money to prosecute the abusers, treat the victims, put the abusers in jail, etc. I don't like causing pain. I don't like spending money.

I've reported abuse that I see at my job, in the hospital. I have reported a few incidents of child abuse that the doctors missed (not their fault! Brilliant doctors but I can spend 8-12 hours at a time with one person so I get to know them more) including a rape, and I also have reported elder abuse at the hands of a spouse. That patient is being watched now and they changed plans so now the wife can't be alone with him. Good! Once you've done it, you realize it's not scary to do and you will feel so good knowing that you've had the courage to stand up and make someone's life better.

If you were vulnerable, either young or old, I'm sure you'd want someone to do the same. I know I would.

I have done it before, but in a different manner. And now I am just lost because no one else seems to care but me and my BF. I know that they are bothering a lot of people, you can hear them from the street even, not to mention all the apartments around them.

So I think I will talk to my man today, and we will seek help by CPS or other social departments. Something needs to be done!

So I called a local union of a child welfare, they asked me to write them a letter, describing my problem. I did that, now I am waiting for a response.

I am afraid that it will make the parents, especially the man in the family even more aggressive, or that this aggression will be pointed on me and my BF. But now it is about the boy first of all.

Check the terms of your lease and see if there are "quiet times" rules, like no loud noise after 11 p.m. and before 7 a.m. or something like that. I've lived in many places that had them, and if multiple tenants all file complaints to the property management, they should take some action against the loud ones.

Document everything in writing, date, time and what they did, keep a running diary. Things in writing carry a lot more weight than verbal complaints that just get forgotten, and if you are questioned or called into a hearing, being able to whip out a written log of exactly what they've been doing and saying (or yelling) and when is very empowering and gives you a lot of credibility. If you can, get other neighbors to do the same, there is strength in numbers. Frankly, the situation you have been in would make me crazy, lol.

If you really want to make a case, if you can, next time you hear the child screaming not to hit him, record it and present it as evidence to the child welfare authorities. That also would carry a lot of weight, where they can at least remove the child from the abusive home.

Now, here's something I would do, the way my mind works, lol. Since they're up all night screaming at each other, they must be sleeping during the day. So you need to disturb THEIR sleep the way they've been disturbing yours, so they'll be passing out at normal bedtime instead of being up yelling all night long. Get some good, loud stereo speakers, the old-fashioned kind, with a good woofer, and play some annoying music, something they would hate, like country or Barry Manilow, at top volume all day long so they can't sleep. This has actually worked for me with some really inconsiderate next door neighbors, lol.

If you really want to make a case, if you can, next time you hear the child screaming not to hit him, record it and present it as evidence to the child welfare authorities.
This is what I was going to recommend. It's one thing to keep a journal, but it's another thing to have audio evidence. You can call CPS. They can go and do a check, but odds are the "family" will pull it together just enough or blame everyone else in the building as being out to get them to fob them off. Besides, I don't think (I don't know for sure) if CPS makes visits at midnight when all the crazy is happening. If you don't have a recording device, they are pretty inexpensive, I have one that records the date and time. Just say off the top what time it is and leave it on, all night if you have to. If you get a digital one like mine, you could give one copy of the MP3 to CPS, another to your landlord.

Thank you!

Sparklesong - I have no idea if they sleep in the day time. Normally they should be working, at least I heard both of them talking about their job, and the little one should be in kindergarten/school. So that is why I was so shocked that he was not sleeping at 12 PM.

• 4 months later...

Archived