Would it be weird if I asked this?

Just got a rejection from an internship I really, really wanted. Feeling pretty low right now. I don't know what I could have done differently to get it - I researched the facility, showed up early, waited for 30 minutes while the interviewer was wrapping up a meeting, asked good questions and took notes, and followed up with a Thank-you email in which I mentioned something I had learned during the interview. I was wondering if it would be inappropriate for me to ask the interviewer in an email if there was something I could have done differently which would have led to me getting the internship. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks.

I would ask them. Yeah, I agree with mhowe. you can say something along the lines of:

"Dear Mr/s Interviewer,

I was disappointed to hear that I did not get x job. This field is truly a passion of mine, and I could see myself making great contributions. I would highly appreciate it if you would let me know how I can improve future applications (either to your firm or others). Thank you for your time and consideration."

or something like that. basically, non-confrontational/blaming, and more like just wanting to understand why so you can improve.

good luck

Don't bother him. If you are going to be in his industry, you might meet him again somewhere down the road. You might have done nothing wrong, but someone else did something so VERY VERY RIGHT in the interviewers eyes that they trumped everyone else. Really, I think it's best if he forgets he met you. In the future, he might only remember that he did not hire you and not remember WHY he didn't hire you.

Don't rock the boat.

Angel

I don't think that is great advice. I think professional feedback is very useful and they will be impressed that she is dedicated. I had a friend who was rejected from every med school he applied to. He contacted the head of one admissions committee who gave him some very frank feedback. The next year, my friend made those modifications, got into med school and is now a doctor.

I am looking for an internship in counseling. Currently getting my Master's degree in it. I have two semesters left; I'm so close and it's been so hard finding this stupid internship! The market is saturated where I live, and too many people in the program, with not enough facilities to go around.

The only things I can think of about this particular interview:

I think I might have gotten excited about a topic (I am passionate about counseling, that's no lie) and talked over her once or twice.

She mentioned toward the end of the interview that she had a lot of other candidates. This made me very nervous and I didn't know what to say after that. Maybe she felt that I shut down or something, I don't know.

In general: I know I could be networking more. I've just never had to do it before, and I'm nervous and unsure how to begin.

The only things I can think of about this particular interview:

I think I might have gotten excited about a topic (I am passionate about counseling, that's no lie) and talked over her once or twice.

She mentioned toward the end of the interview that she had a lot of other candidates. This made me very nervous and I didn't know what to say after that. Maybe she felt that I shut down or something, I don't know.

In general: I know I could be networking more. I've just never had to do it before, and I'm nervous and unsure how to begin.

I've done that in interviews but I've got jobs when I've done that. When I've sat there and said almost nothing, and always waited my turn, I've never got the job. I think sometimes the interviewer doesn't mind since it shows you're really interested in what you're talking about. Surprising but true. You probably just didn't get it because there were a lot of candidates.

I agree with Annie 24 also, sometimes one needs to find out what their doing wrong so they can better themselves and if the advice wasn't given during the process then I think you should ask, how else can you learn if you don't ask. Beside if professional gets offended from you asking questions then apparently this wasn't the place to be anyhow so next time down the road really won't matter if they remember you or not because they just showed their character......

All interviewers expect to give feedback on interviews.

I speak from experience as I perform interviews for my organisation. I know any round of interviews I take part in or lead on I have to write a number of 'feedback' emails. It's simple and not time consuming. We have a sheet that is filled in by each interwiewer both during and after each interview. It's basically just copying that.

The email I usually send back includes the interviewees (for want of a better word) 'stronger' points and areas which the interviewee may need to improve upon. I also like to include information on how the interview could improve upon these areas, for example extra training, gaining experience, etc. But not all feedback will hold this information.

Hope this helps!

Archived