"Parental Guidance"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do understand where you're coming from as well. My parents and I have just always been very open with each other

Nothing good comes from telling your parents (or anyone close for that matter) about issues with a partner. You are building up dislike/resentment on their part, then when you stay attached they stay in a cautious "we don't like that guy mode"

You and bf are not compatible for the long haul.

You need your parents approval for living, he has been on his own since 14.

You were brought up to say "drugs are wrong"....he uses drugs.

And, while you will tell your parents EVERYTHING @ your bf, including stuff that is none of their business, you will not tell your bf that you told your parents everything....because you don't want him to "resent them".

Not a match.

I think this is the top and bottom of it ...it is not a match ...

and at least you recognise this now , and I wouldnt expect him to give up for you and your parents ..that will happen in his own time .

and by the way , it is fair enough you don't want to be with someone who does this .

He isn't dealing Shooting Star -- he grows his own. He has a job in the real world. Which is why it is so unbelieveable that OP felt the need to share this with her parents.

And OP --- that you cannot be honest with your bf WHY your parents resent him says a lot about your "openness" with him.

He isn't dealing Shooting Star -- he grows his own. He has a job in the real world. Which is why it is so unbelieveable that OP felt the need to share this with her parents.

And OP --- that you cannot be honest with your bf WHY your parents resent him says a lot about your "openness" with him.

AHHHHH right ...oh ...I did read it but somehow translated it as he grows ..but grows to see not just for his own percy .. thanks mhowe

oh op ..I have to say all this fuss cos he grows a little crop to have a smoke ..it's not big time , loads of people have a plant ...it saves the risk of door knocking or deliveries etc ..it makes it more private .

It's very easy for an outsider to hate a parent, and vice versa. This is why I didn't tell him how they feel. I only told him that they don't agree with the pot-smoking (as nicely as I could put it, and he understood).

I told my parents about it because I was looking for advice from people who know me best, and at the time they were somewhat ok with it, but have grown very weary of it as of late.

It's very easy for an outsider to hate a parent, and vice versa. This is why I didn't tell him how they feel. I only told him that they don't agree with the pot-smoking (as nicely as I could put it, and he understood).

I told my parents about it because I was looking for advice from people who know me best, and at the time they were somewhat ok with it, but have grown very weary of it as of late.

They thought a 30 yr old man was going to give up smoking pot because THEY didn't like it? It has been months, not years.

I am honest with him about everything else. But the parents thing is something that affects more than just me and him. This is why I am trying to shield them, and frankly regret having mentioned the weed to them at all. Big mistake no doubt.

Well if you were dating a guy who already had your outlook on marijuana use you wouldn't be in this pickle.

The parent thing, meaning they know he grows weed === affects ONLY you and him. Your parents already know.

Huge mistake. But you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.And I think you aren't telling HIM you told THEM because he will not be at all pleased with YOUR lack of discretion.

You don't get to be "kinda honest". Most of the time. Its like being "a little pregnant". It's not a situational thing,.

It seems to me like this has become a means of picking apart a momentarily vulnerable person. I came here looking for advice and am getting shat on by people that should not say anything unless their intent is to help. I'm not a stupid person, and will eventually make my own conclusions. Just thought some intelligent insight could've helped. Wrong place. Thanks anyway.

Archived