How to know if you've chosen the wrong path career-wise?

I just graduated college about 6 weeks ago with a degree in something I thought I wanted to go into. For the year that I was in that specific program (after taking all my general ed courses, job shadowing, etc) I had my doubts. I thought maybe it was just because being in school for it was very stressful, and that things are sure to look up soon. During the course of that final year, I had to do many clinical hours, which was essentially working part time for no pay, while keeping grades up in all other classes. During the last semester of school, I was getting sick a lot. At one point I even had the full-blown flu and had to miss classes/clinicals for an entire week, and it was very hard to make up all the hours and work that I missed that semester in order to graduate on time. There were days that I somewhat enjoyed clinicals and days that I hated it, cried, wanted to quit, and questioned if this was even worth it. I had such a tough time towards the end of the year, that now (6 weeks later) the thought of job searching in this field has me literally cringing and I've not even started the search. Is this all a sign that I'm going into the wrong career, or am I simply still exhausted and need to take more time to myself? I'm deeply frustrated over this situation.. Has anyone else been in something similar and can offer up some advice? I needed to vent tonight... I think people are starting to think that I am not working yet because I am lazy, but the truth is that I'm mentally exhausted.

Hi justaglimmer,

Can I ask what job field you are going into and studied for?

Being a student is so tough, and then straight after all your hard work it feels as if there is no time to rest and gather your thoughts back up because you are expected to go full lunge into job hunting and endless interviews which are a stress in themselves.

I think my advice on this issue would be go with your gut instinct. What is your heart telling you? Try not to listen to your head.

Your head will say things like 'But you studied at it for x amount of years, what a waste' and 'It'll pay good money' or 'Well you need a job now' etc.

I know people in their dream jobs - artists, antique dealers, business people, all who would never swap their occupation, but it doesn't mean that everyday they are leaping for joy wringing their hands together in delight because they feel so lucky. Yes, they have really good moments and brilliant days, but they also have days where things don't work out and they're not as mad about the profession they have chosen.

The way to tell is, do your negative feelings largely outweight the ups and good times? If they do, and it's constant (and not just emotional stress / exhaustion / worry), then I would maybe have a sit down with yourself and assess your life and what you really want to do.

Remember that once you have a degree, no one can take that away from you. You can always go back to that profession.

When you're young, you never know what you want to do. Hardly anyone really knows who they properly are, let alone what they want to do for the rest of their life! It's a huge question! Sometimes it takes trial and error and time.

Talk to friends and family or someone who knows you well. Sometimes it's hard for us looking from the inside out, but someone who knows you really well can sometimes see things clearer, and might have a better idea of your true passions and what you're really good at and njoy doing than you actually do!

I know my fiance is brilliant at relaying things like this to me, he sometimes knows me better than myself, since when we're upset confused or worried our judgement tends to be clouded. It helps to get a second opinion.

Follow your heart. Life's too short to be stuck doing something you hate, but make sure whatever decision you come too, you are thinking clearly and have weighed up your options. At the end of the day, following your dreams is an amazing concept, but they normally take money to follow, and sometimes you have to stick at something you don't like as much to generate some more cash before you can move onto a true calling.

All the best!

- Lolita

Archived