Toning up the leg area

Furbys

Hello, I hope everyone has had a good Christmas!

Well it is coming up to the new year and i am not one for making New Year resolutions but this time i have decided to make one. I want to get fitter in general as my fitness is very poor and my cholesterol level is not very good. I can run up some stairs and im out of breath and i am disgusted that i am like that. I use to eat junk all the time, i would not have any fruit or vegetables but you wouldn't think so by looking at me as I am 5 foot 7 and about 65kg. I do get comments about how thin i am but i am not sickly thin (the comments are not negative). My BMI is normal and i have been gaining weight. Since i found out about my cholesterol i decided i need to change my diet as it was very unhealthy and i do not want to end up with any medical problems. So now i eat a lot more healthy and i do feel a lot better in general. But without adding exercise to this my cholesterol level will not go down.

I am very conscious of my thigh/hip/bum area as i am heavier down there (basically im like a pear shape) and i want to tone it up as it does wobble. I am planning on getting an exercise bike and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Are they good for exercising/toning that area? Has anyone got any other suggestions of how to tone up this area? I do not want to waste money on an exercise bike if it does not help me in that area. I have tried looking online but they all vary. Some sites say the bike will only help your legs, others say it helps your legs and bum, some say it helps with cardio. Abit confusing!

I will also be doing other exercises like sit ups as i am aware you cannot target one area. I also would like to point out i am not trying to lose weight as i do not want too, im a healthy weight for my height, i am just trying to get fitter.

I think a bike is more for your calves...it will help but not as much as you will think and your results won't be very quick.

Google "Thigh Toning"...you will see squats, lunges and leg extensions are a much quicker, better way at getting results faster. No equipment needed.

I have tried doing squats and lunges but i can never tell if i am doing them right and i honestly don't feel that they are doing anything beneficial.

If you don't feel anything, you probably aren't lifting enough weight.

Even un-toned, out of shape legs are strong. You have to challenge them to adapt.

How much weight do you squat?

I would get on youtube type in squats and watch how to do one properly. If you have a place where you can walk I would do that. Once you get used to walking, I was speed walk, then start jogging and then run. Being healthy is not a resolution it is a lifestyle change and commitment. That means everyday you will have to make a choice and decide to stick with it or not. Some days will be good other days you will fail the difference between winning and losing is picking yourself up off the ground and starting all over again. I run 3 times a week with push-ups and sit-ups I do not enjoy it..my lungs burn, my chest aches but I push myself toward the finish line. Running in general is the single best way to tone up the body because it helps you lose weight everywhere while squats would be a great toning exercise to add to your routine.

Are you interested at all in horseriding? I took up riding about 3 months ago and the difference in my legs is incredible. It's a serious workout for your butt, thighs and legs in general, if you can afford it I really recommend it.

I use to do this when i was younger, and i clearly remember the next day my legs would really ache which shows my legs got a good workout. But this is something i could do once in a while, i couldn't do it a lot as where i live they charge a lot of money (very rural).

If you have the funds and availability, a gym with a good instructor can show you how to do proper lunges and dead lifts. Excellent way to work the butt and thighs. Be aware on some women it tends to grow as muscle pushes fat out, just a heads up.

IF you have no money and feel creative. Go find a long sandy road or beach, we're looking for soft ankle swallowing sand. Walk it for an hour, rest, walk back. Drink lots of water. Slow steady pace. It will build everything involving the legs. Find a hill the next day and alternate, you should see results inside a week or less.

Swimming works too but only if you have access to one of the bigger pools with minimal traffic. Good luck.

Archived