New ring or Used Ring

New ring or Used Ring  

21 members have voted

1. 1. New ring or Used Ring

• New ring
    • Used ring

I was a little apprehensive at first about getting a used ring, but decided there was no way we could afford anything that I really liked at full price. We were at a pawn shop around Valentine's Day (he "proposed" to me the day before - as in, asked me if I wanted to go look at rings with him, lol) and I didn't see anything I liked much when one caught my eye. Once she took it out of the case, I was in awe - it was gorgeous! And at 60% off it was just under our limit of $500. I decided to go for it. Little did I know, it was this ring, valued at $3,850 (new)...

link removed

In fact, I need to have it appraised, because they underestimated the total weight (tag said 1 ct. and it is definitely over 1.5 ct TW), and the center stone is so big I think it actually might be closer to 2 ct. TW. It's the only piece of "real" jewelry I own, and while I usually don't go for a lot of bling, this ring was so beautiful I couldn't pass it up. One of the prongs on the side diamonds is getting thin so I've lately stopped wearing it until I can get it repaired, and I've just been wearing my wedding band. Also got my wedding band "used" -

link removed

For $200.

They're inanimate objects. My marriage would be the same no matter what I wore on my hands. Just so happens we're poor (and I've always had champagne taste on a beer budget), but I wanted a good deal on my wedding jewelry. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying new OR used, just depends on how you feel about having things that have been previously owned, and your priorities... some people believe in "bad juju," others, like me, love a good bargain.

Personally, I would prefer new and simple/modest to older and 'bigger' or more ornate.

I'm a pretty simple person. I don't wear a lot of make-up or jewlery. I'm not big on bling. So a very simple solitaire with a smaller or lower quality stone (no one can really tell anyways unless you are a jewler) would suit me just fine. Those don't have to be expensive...

This is me as well to a point. I like the bling but I'm not overly flashy. My jewelry is very simple and the same. I wear the same necklace and earrings everyday that matches well with my wedding and engagment rings.

New or used to me doesn't matter as much as the style of the ring and how well it fits my personality and price range. I got a new ring for a great deal, but we had been looking for a long time-- I had some pretty specific ideas about what I wanted (sapphire, still looking like an engagement ring, under $1,500), and I wasn't really finding it. If I had found something that I loved used, I totally would have gotten it.

Archived