Job Reference Question

I just want people's opinions on a job reference situation..

For an interview next Wednesday I have to provide two manager references and one coworker reference. I already have two managers (one a former manager and one the manager of the place I'm doing volunteer work right now) who offered to give me references, and I have the coworker reference. However, I haven't ask the manager of the place I'm using the coworker from for a reference as I don't need four references. My question is, if the coworker from that place and the manager talk, and the manager finds out I haven't asked her for a reference this time (I have other times) will she be offended or mad that I'm using the coworker, like I'm going behind her back? One time an old coworker of mine tried to pass another coworker off as the manager because the manager didn't like her, and the manager got really upset, so I don't want her to think I'm doing the same thing. I'm not, I had a fine relationship with the manager but I'm just lazy about asking people for references and don't want to ask extra people if I don't have to because I think I might be able to use the "extras" as references for other jobs, like spread them around. I'm leaning toward asking the manager for a reference anyway just so she won't be offended/mad/suspicious that I asked the coworker and not her. What do you think? Maybe I'm worrying too much about this, but I know this former workplace of mine is gossip-filled and there is often a lot of drama with the supervisors/manager.

Your situation, and the situation of your old co-worker is quite different. In that scenario, your old coworker was dishonest and had someone pretend to be their manager in order to presumably get a better reference. Whomever that was, is a total nozzle, and their manager was right to be pissed about having a nozzle on the team. Your situation, you're just asking for a coworker reference. It's not likely for it to come up in conversation, and unless your old manager is a nozzle, she won't be upset that you asked a former coworker to be a coworker reference. If she does get upset, it won't really matter because she's not your manager. If you're really worried about it, email her and ask if she would mind if you listed her as a reference. You don't have to give her as a reference, but just asking her should end any issues. Truthfully though, this is business, and she really shouldn't be upset by it, and really it won't likely come up.

If I have people that like my work, I ask them for references right away, even if I am not searching at that time. For example, if someone says "wow, you know a lot about this" or "You're the best driver we've ever had!" I say "Thank you so much! Would you be willing to write me a letter of recommendation? I'd really appreciate adding it to my portfolio."

In this same vein, you could ask your manager for a letter to keep in your files. When you approach her, say something like "I have learned so much from you." She will be flattered that you value your working relationship and write you an awesome recommendation.

Good luck!

My question is, if the coworker from that place and the manager talk, and the manager finds out I haven't asked her for a reference this time (I have other times) will she be offended or mad that I'm using the coworker, like I'm going behind her back?

In business, you ask for references from people you can trust. There is no reason to take a personal vendetta if someone was not asked to give a reference. If your supervisor get called by the new place of employment, they will have to give a verbal recommendation.

However it looks better to employers that you get references from a supervisor than a professional colleague.

In business, you ask for references from people you can trust. There is no reason to take a personal vendetta if someone was not asked to give a reference. If your supervisor get called by the new place of employment, they will have to give a verbal recommendation.

However it looks better to employers that you get references from a supervisor than a professional colleague.

Yeah, I know it's usually better to get references from a supervisor but I already have two other supervisors and the third reference was SPECIFICALLY supposed to be a coworker, so that's why I made it a coworker.

Archived