10 years ago today I got my Bachelor's degree

Today, 10 years ago I got my bachelor's from Ferris State University in Automotive Technology and I thought I would be living a good life and making a decent living and working for one of the top 3 car makers, GM, Ford or Chrysler but that never happened. Since I graduated, I have applied so many times and never got a response back. I also have applied to other car companies and nothing. It sucks having this useless expensive degree that has not done me any good. If I could turn back time I would have not gotten this degree. It was nothing but a big waste!

I don't know you and I don't mean to judge you but I've responded to your other post about your height and I've noticed that you tend to contemplate about stuff you can't change: your height and your degree you got ten years ago.

I can relate because I don't like my height (I'm rather tall for a girl) and I regret my college degree (so far I think it's useless). But do I complain? No, because that won't change a thing.

I think you should focus on what you *can* do. A positive short guy is so much better than a negative tall guy, but a negative short guy is very unattractive.

Here's two cents from someone who has been working in the automotive field since 2003.

Have you been expecting a high level office job @ one of the car companies, or a wrenching job? If it's the former, then you are going to need an engineering degree on top of that automotive technology degree to even make it in the door. If you aren't scared of getting your hands dirty and being on your feet all day there is a huge demand for technicians practically everywhere. One of my childhood friends got a 2yr auto tech degree and immediately got hired at a GMC dealer making 19/hr with full benefits and his tools paid for. I am an engine machinist and went to a 10 month votech and had machine shops in 3 states trying to hire me. If you get rid of your expectations and broaden your horizons, you will have a good job in no time. If you are dead set on not getting your hands dirty, try your luck with one of the hundreds of aftermarket and oem parts companies out there. Even in this economy, I think if someone truly wants a job and is willing to do whatever it takes they will never be without work.

Don't be too down about it, man. I am close to your age and I understand what you are going through. I graduated in 2001 with a degree in Graphic Design. Since I graduated, I have done nothing related to design. Sometimes I feel like I wasted four years at college for nothing too. Although I currently have a secure and decent paying job, it is just a job, not a career I ever envisioned. My last relationship of four years ended and my career/ambition was one of the major issues. Ever think about going back for your Master's? I've been in between classes the last year myself. Do what you love to do and try to find a career or job in that area. I love cars, always have. I love working on, fixing, and modding my own car. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that is very skilled in that area and I have learned so much in the past year, it is something I think I would enjoy doing career-wise. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and getting all cut up from the learning processes. I'm thinking of going back to a trade school just to learn to be a automotive tech. We all have to start somewhere and work our way up. Good luck!

Reading this is very discouraging. I got my degree as an adult a year ago and now I'm temporarily employed and looking at an additional job at a home improvement store to supplement my income. It's not for lack of trying either. I'm now going for an insurance license, which I'm not sure is a good fit but I'm going to give it a good shot regardless because I feel like that may be my ticket out of two job syndrome.

Anyway I don't have advice besides what's already be said. Branch out and maybe return to college.

I don't know much about the automobile industry, but you could try applying for low level jobs in a car company and seeing if you could work your way up (unless you've already applied to the lowest positions, but it doesn't really sound like it - I even mean like salesman or mechanic).

I can say with 99.9995% certainty that one cannot start as a mechanic at a local dealership and "work their way up" to a design position (probably in Pasadena at one of the design houses) with regard to major auto makers. I too am a [long] aspiring car designer and have found the road to employment nothing but completely and utterly bewildering. I almost took a cell/assy. position at Mosler in Florida quite a few years back, and maybe I should have because the environment would be small enough to work up... but the even the owners of the biggest dealerships have no input other than sales figures into what the R&D end of the process has.

Archived