need things to keep myself busy

14 days of NC and i just deleted my Facebook... argh, this is so hard. Im trying to reconnect with my friends again, but everyone has been too busy or too tired. However, when i finally do go out, i don't enjoy the moment while being with them. I feel like a zombie doing whatever it is we're doing. I miss her so much, but this break up is what she wants and i know i shouldn't try to convince her to stay with me if she doesn't want to be. I know i must let go of any hope and her, but i can't get myself to. Ive been self-reflecting and there is much to improve in my life, but will take time to change, which is the reason of our break up (school/career/living at home still).

What are some things that i can keep myself busy/focused on if I'm stuck at home? I've been trying to read books, but after every page, i tend to start thinking about her and it ruins my mood. ill mope for an hour, but then go back to reading and repeat the cycle...

Know exactly how you feel there discouraged...

My second last breakup, I didn't have my son living with me and had more freedoms so I'll talk about what I did then...

Exercised - every day, no matter what - 4 days weights, 3 days cardio.

I would go space around the downtown core at night (I live in a big city, lots of energy).

I would attend meetup groups - these I wasn't fond of, but it was better than sulking.

I would frequent book stores and just get lost there for a few hours, browsing anything.

Took a Thai cooking class, kind of enjoyed this one. Got me out around a lot of fellow foodies.

Modernized my music collection.

Painted the house.

What can you do?

You have to get through it somehow.

I always had someone I could call when I was quite down.

I'm thinking of taking an improvisation class this year.

(yep, I've done stand up, but I was young and it was raw).

But I bet it will be a huge distraction.

OSP

Most importantly, what do you like to do? Taking up hobbies that you genuinely enjoy are the best for healing. But otherwise:

How do you feel about rock-climbing? If you have a climbing gym near you, you can go bouldering on your own--it was super helpful for me. Otherwise, running with the music cranked up is a good thing too. Anything physical, really, will get some endorphins pumping and make you feel a little better. Playing music is really cathartic, too, so you might feel better taking up an old instrument or teaching yourself something new, like guitar--Target has some pretty cheap ones. Journaling was also really good for getting me out of that cycle; I had my set time to mope while I was writing and then I had to go and do something not-mopey. Or you could try creative writing? Channel all of your emotions into the next great novel?

Give yourself time. It's only been two weeks. You're allowed to still hurt.

Archived