Ok here's my situation:

My boyfriend broke up with me 3 weeks ago after 8 months of being together. He's in another province right now working, while I'm at school. We were planning on going these couple months long distance (cuz we did it at the start of our relationship) but now we're broken up.

We've stayed good friends, and today he told me that his work offered him to stay there for 12 months instead of just these 4 months til Christmas. I'm a little upset about it, even though he hasn't decided what he's going to do yet.

I know I shouldn't be upset because we are broken up, but he said that he wanted to see how this time apart went and he wasn't shutting the door on us, and how our "status" is kinda up in the air right now. I guess we're both kinda hoping he'll work out his life and we'll get another chance, but I got upset at the thought of him not coming back at Christmas. I know it's not good to have hope of getting back together with him cuz it makes things that much harder in terms of moving on... but I can't help it right now. And I have the hope that this time apart will be good for us (we'll both learn, and just take some time to think, and be happy with our individual lives) and then when we see each other in person, we'll want to get back together.

Is it wrong for me to be thinking about this, and being upset at the thought of him not coming back? I just feel like we're meant to be and he'll realize that when we see each other again and spend time together... and now there's this possibility of him not coming back, so we won't even be able to sit down together and talk about getting back together.

What should I do??? Other than this, I have been really good at not talking to him all the time. I wait for him to contact me, and I'm moving on... I'm more happy with my life now. I just still have that little hope in the back of my mind - and now I'm thinking, if he doesn't come back at Christmas, what will happen???

Any advice PLEASE!! I just don't know what to do... thanks guys

Hey, long-distance relationships are hard to maintain. Being away for an extended period of time doesn't help the relationship in most cases. I don't think it's wrong to think about the possibilities and being happier now than before. You still have many dating years ahead of you, so looking at other possibilities is far from wrong. However, if you made any agreement with your boyfriend and you break it, that could be wrong. You may go out and check other guys out and not be satisfied, and in the end it all works out. However, things may change and the relationship will die. Just live life as it occurs and don't think to far ahead. All you can really do is hope for the best, and certainly talk to him if it is at all possible.

Chris