Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

UK People in the house!! Need some help regarding moving out of London!

Coconut Twin

Helloooo,

Umm, for years now I've been thinking of moving out of London, for good. I've been living in this city for far too long and want a different scene, fresher air, less noise (yep I'm getting old) and just more green!!

I'm not looking to buy, only rent for now.... If anyone has knowledge or is well travelled in the England area can tell me where it's not too hard on the purse, somewhere where there's interesting things going on culturally, historical sites to see and so on and of course an area where I can get to some countryside easily. On the outskirts of a city would be nice. I've looked at places in Leeds, Norfolk, Coventry any more ideas? I stayed with my ex in Wiltshire, Avesbury for 2 weeks, visited the stone circles, did voodoo and danced naked..(only joking - the voodoo bit) and it was lovely area BUT seemed a bit dead and I got googled at, I thnink I was the only dark skin person in the village haha!

Also I understand that demographically most rural and suburban areas would be predominantly caucasian, this isn't so much an issue for me aslong as the community are quite liberal, not too conservative, if this is possible? Probably asking for too much aren't i? LOL.

OK any of you guys can offer me some helpful advice I'd appreciate it. Oh in addition, I need to move somewhere where there are lot's of job opportunities..

I do really like the idea of Leeds btw..

Really good stuff@! I forgot to mention about crime? I know there is crime everywhere but how is it up there?

There's crime everywhere though honey, I feel pretty safe walking through the centre of all at night - in well known areas where there is life and clubs etc., taxi driver in Leeds tried to rip me off badly though, he quoted me an extortionate amount for a short trip. i had a hangover and went, 'eh?!' mainly due to my hangover but he thought I said 'W t f' and halved it

I prefer the people of liverpool and manc but I've spent longer there - not long enough to be an expert though! And with all three the countryside is literally a 15 minute train trip away, even safer

lol...thanks for the advice. Still no sure about Leeds, I know it's creative which is good for me and the night life is buzzing, yet the latter isn't what I want. Seeing as there is countryside not too far away shouldn't be too bad, maybe I'll live on the outskirts of the city and venture in for those days when I need to shake me toosh.

My main issue is actually living somewhere too rowdy and not being able to get sleep. Right now I live and every night there is noise from party goers, even neighbours in our building are all probably DJs playing music from every genre from 7pm right through to 10 am the next morning... Sometimes I'm liek yea, great track! Then when it hits 1 am i'm like can't they shut up!! lol While I love the artsy fartsy scene of the East, I think my ear drums just can't take what comes with it :s

Last night they literally had a party from 6pm to 6pm the next day..wow, and these people won't be leaving anytime soon so..but yea I have many other reasons as aformentioned to why London is no longer the place for moi.

Ok Im' rambling..

I was thinking Bristol but then had to back track - my ex's fam live there, he'd visit, possibly bump into me and assume I'm stalking him...

Maybe later on down the line though... Ah love Glastonbury. Exeter sounds good. Yea the diversity! this is why I love Bristol but as aforementioned.... oh, maybe forget the ex! I'm going Bristol haha!

Right got your points down. What's wrong with Easton?

It's got quite a lot of crime and a fairly run down part of the city. I live in the next 'town' secton over which is much better, but by one of the university campuses so fairly busy in that area.

If you don't want to be too close to the ex, go for exeter, lots of diversity there and again loads of beautiful areas and again about an hour and a half I think to Glastonbury also close to Cornwall so can easily get down to lands end which is a beautiful scene for a sunset

Oh thank you Butterfly, this is soooo helpful you would not believe because I've always wanted to be near the Bristol area, but knowing now that Exeter (which isn't too far as you say) is also diverse, it's just great! And I avoid the ex!

Cornwall is a sight for sore eyes aswell and then Glastonbury not too far! It's perfect!

cheers

Generally speaking, things get cheaper the further north you go. The south coast has got a lot of reasonably priced places, but then employment is the problem. Manchester is a very vibrant city, in addition to the others mentioned above. You will come accross crime in all the major centres, though.

If you're worried about which areas might be potentially difficult, you can always contact a police station, let them know your situation and where best to avoid. I've always found them very helpful in this respect.

Archived