girlfriend is no longer happy, should I let go?

Hello EA,

I'll keep this short and sweet.

I love my girlfriend to death, and she says she loves me too, and want us to work out our relationship. However, she says that sometimes she is no longer happy and wants out. Should I let her go? I mean, is this a justifiable reason for me to let her go? Her actions tell me that she still loves me, but I think she's scared of conflict and doesn't fight fair (always breaks up with me everytime we fight), and she says she's no longer happy because we keep fighting about her alcohol problem, but other than that, we're totally fine together. We live together under the same roof for 10 months. Is it time to let go? The problem with me is I don't know when to move on...help!

Are the two of you willing to actively put in the effort to fix your problems? Perhaps go to counciling, and your gf to AA? What isn't she happy about? And she breaks up with you when you fight, how mature is she overall?

The most important question though, is do you want to let her go?

Hello EA,

I'll keep this short and sweet.

I love my girlfriend to death, and she says she loves me too, and want us to work out our relationship. However, she says that sometimes she is no longer happy and wants out. Should I let her go? I mean, is this a justifiable reason for me to let her go? Her actions tell me that she still loves me, but I think she's scared of conflict and doesn't fight fair (always breaks up with me everytime we fight), and she says she's no longer happy because we keep fighting about her alcohol problem, but other than that, we're totally fine together. We live together under the same roof for 10 months. Is it time to let go? The problem with me is I don't know when to move on...help!

Get out FAST.

Or else you'll stay another 1.5 months wondering if she really does love you and deal with the silent treatment.

Are the two of you willing to actively put in the effort to fix your problems? Perhaps go to counciling, and your gf to AA? What isn't she happy about? And she breaks up with you when you fight, how mature is she overall?

The most important question though, is do you want to let her go?

She refuses she has a drinking problem, and somehow the situation is reversed so I end up the one to blame in being concerned for her about her drinking behavior. She says she loves me and would not allow us to breakup over her alcohol intake which she says is her way to "unwind" after a day's work. She's not happy because we always fight about the same issue over and over again, which is the alcohol. I even told her one time that the reason why she is unhappy is because an alcohol is a downer, and how can she expect to be happy if she drinks regularly? She didn't answer to that, so I guess that made her ponder.lol

Anyway, I don't want to let her go because I want to be there for her (I love her!), I think she'd only drink more if I leave anyway, and she knows I'll always be with her even if she breaks up with me after every argument. In a twisted sense (in one of our conversations when we were both okay) this is exactly why she keeps breaking up with me - because she knows deep in her heart that I'll stay.

Hey listen I'm not sure of your age, but at some point down the road you are going to want more from her because your going to want more for yourself. And in a situation like this i think you have to look at it that way. How long can you go on with things they way they are? Love is a strange thing. Many people don't realize the a sacrifice today will change the way you view love in the future. Trust me, I've been down that road. It pains me to say this cause I don't know the girl, but if she is truly an alcoholic your not seeing her all the time for who she is. You really have to look at her for who she is and if she doesn't change, are you going to be happy with the way she is while you wait for to become the women you hope she becomes.

I'm 28, she's 26.Love is a crazy thing, indeed. I always tell myself I'd leave but each time I look at her when I'm about to leave, I see the sadness in her eyes, and I can't believe that I've caused that, so I stay. She begged me not to leave her because of the alcohol "issue", and would rather hope that there is a third party involved as the cause for the breakup. We talked about it a couple of times, and she said there's really no one else, the same goes for me. She's the only woman I love, and the one girl that I want to be with, come hell or high water.

Archived