Developmental disorders in children - diagnosis, treatment?

All of this is extremely controversial. The DSM is controversial, medication for children is a hot button issue. I think it should all be dealt with carefully and responsibly, because I truly believe these childhood disorders may be over diagnosed and over and improperly treated.

Clinicians often agree with this assessment. I feel we may be abnormalizing normal aspects of child development.

I think there is a BIG urge to label ANYONE that does not fit into the round hole completely, you know? They can not really diagnose a toddler because hey guess what ,they ARE difficult to handle, they are developing their own independence. That is the process of their development.

Personally I do not see ADHD as a disease or disorder as I once used to. It is just another way of thinking that is not main stream. It is a way of learning that is not main stream. So???? Anything that does not fit the model we want to stamp it out or drug it into silence. A lot of these people are VERY bright and just need the right encouragement and to learn in the way THEY learn.

Medication was only a detriment to my son. It made him sullen,unhappy,depressed, one medication made him violent. ALL of them made him severely underweight and he was a tiny child to begin with. My son has not been medicated in almost 3 years now and they tell me he sits and he is quiet and he does his work. He is learning to moderate himself. His father is actually more severely ADHD than he is and my husband still did well in school and university and still gets along at work.

I think medication is over used when patience and understanding would be better. Only everyone can decide that for themselves though. What I do know is over prescribing these medications makes drug companies rich.

Archived