He was determined to find out the truth or else never open his eyes again,

He wanted to end suffering for him and for all,

He wanted to determine the causes that one couldn't forestall,

He was born as a king and yet he left all his kingdom,

He had a wife and a son and a world full of possession,

He saw sickness, old age and death and started questioning,

Why does the world suffer and what is its beginning,

Then he saw a monk who seemed happy and content,

And he started the journey towards that which is hidden and latent.

He suffered long and hard in this great discovery,

He begged to have his meal, but it was no misery,

He learned the art of silence, from the teachers he came accross,

But never became satisfied as it did not cure the loss,

So he decided in the end to walk on this path all alone,

Be a light into oneself and do not ever become a clone,

He saw others fasting, and he did the same,

He ate so much less that he became lean and mundane,

He realized that its a waste and had the milk from a boy,

He accepted the service of the lady who wished him best of luck for future joy,

And then he sat on the sheet of straw under the tree in deep meditation

And he saw truth all at once and the beginning of compassion

I bow my head in reverence at your feet, O' lord of compassion,

You are the first human being to shatter the conditioning of a thousand years, all the suffering, all the possession.

He became the father of all and the leader of entire humanity.

What happened to his child, i dont know but i can judge that the child must have been well taken care of by his parents. He was actually only a prince and his father was still the king. Since he was a prince, the child must never had to suffer because of the worldly needs. I dont know if the prince had brothers to rule the kingdom. Now if you ask me what happened to his wife....I dont know.

Probably budhdhists will be able to answer all the other details and in a proper manner.

Siddartha abandoned his wife and child when he began his spiritual journey. I say it was worth it because he bettered all of humanity. The life he was living was a very wealthy one but he was not happy and he was so sheltered. In order to make himself and the world better, he had to make the sacrifice.

From my understanding, there was only 1 child, no siblings.

Siddartha abandoned his wife and child when he began his spiritual journey. I say it was worth it because he bettered all of humanity. The life he was living was a very wealthy one but he was not happy and he was so sheltered. In order to make himself and the world better, he had to make the sacrifice.

From my understanding, there was only 1 child, no siblings.

You surprised my Fudgie had a very different image of you....

Well Budhdha had a first cousin in the name of Ananda who later on became his disciple.

link removed

link removed

Nopes, i was not even aware that Vesak is today. Actually i just watched a small program on budhdha on T.V today and after that my heart was filled with emotion and reverence. I always had a certain kind of enchantment towards him. Whenever i heard the lines....'Budhdham sharanam gachchami, sangham sharanam gachchami, gyanam sharanam gachchami' with a certain background music i felt mesmerized. So I wrote that poem.

But just a few minutes before i saw a photograph of Budhdha and details about Vesak (its called Budhdha Purnima here) in the news paper. And i thought what a conicidence.

By the way i am not a budhdhist.