questions about online job applications

If a job application asks you to state the earliest date you can start, and you have to give in one month's notice at your current job, what would you write? This particular question isn't a required field on the form but I think it looks better to give as many answers as I can.

Also, some vacancies I've come accross ask to download the application form then return it via email. How do you deal with the 'signature' space at the end of the form? Do you leave it blank or insert a scan of your signature??

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to these questions, but what I would do is:

For the date - I'd leave it blank. Companies recognize that you usually have to give notice (although, most would assume 2 weeks). I think that's the "base" assumption if you don't write anything. If you are available immediately, I'd write a date. If you don't have a date, I wouldn't write a date.

For the signature - do you have access to a printer/scanner? If yes, fill it out, print it, sign it, scan it and email the scanned document. If you don't have easy access to one, don't sweat it. Leave it blank. You can sign it at the interview if it's that important.

Thanks guys! I think I'll leave the date bit blank and say I'll need 4 weeks notice in my cover letter section. I wish 2 weeks was the norm over here but every place I've worked (even retail) have asked for 4 weeks! But, not the point. I'm able to scan documents so will do that too!

I wish 2 weeks was the norm over here but every place I've worked (even retail) have asked for 4 weeks!

Interesting! Just saw you are in the UK... I guess that's regional/culteral! In North America the standard is 2 weeks. I agree 4 weeks is more reasonable, though. Who can find a replacement in 2?? They never do...

Archived