My fiance is a picky eater!

writingislove

Not sure which forum this actually belongs in...

When my fiance and I moved in together a couple of years ago, neither of us liked to cook so we ate a lot of boxed dinners (you know, Hamburger Helper...). Over the past several months, I've been teaching myself to cook and I love to try new things. The problem is, my fiance is a REALLY picky eater. The only veggies he'll eat are onions, corn, and potatoes, and almost everything I want to cook is full of veggies. I really want to branch out in the kitchen, but there are so many recipes I look at that I know he absolutely won't eat because he doesn't like half the ingredients. I pretty much feel stuck cooking variations of the same thing over and over. When I'm able to, I cook things I want to cook and just tell him to pick out the veggies and whatever else he doesn't like, but a lot of the things I want to try don't allow for this. I'm positive someone else here has been in this situation, so I'm wondering...what do you do?

Yes, when someone is so picky he can cook or prep his own meals, or like you said, pick out the veggies he does not like. You're making yourself sound like his mother by cooking to his tastes. He's gotta realize that he's a problem eater, and you can't dance around that forever. Plus, you should point out to him that eating redundantly has been linked to kidney stones. He's a guy, they hurt.

Angel

He can, but we do tend to eat on a budget so I feel like that would be inefficient. I also don't know if I could bring myself to say, "Hey, cook your own dinner so I can make something you hate." Not in those words, of course.

.... I don't get what you are saying here. You save a lot of money on groceries than eating out. You don't have to cook from scratch and spend a lot of time on cooking.

At the same time, he is a grown man and needs to cook his own food when the time calls. If he is picky then he should be more active in showing what he wants to eat. He can do this by picking certain recipes. At the same time you are not his mother and should not be subjecting yourself to be the cook all the time if he's going to be picky and choosey of what he eats. Hopefully he is taking his multivitamins because his choice of not eating greens or a balanced diet is going to cause him health problems later down the road.

My sister's fiance is super picky, or atleast was. He was strictly meat and potatoes, but he is always OPEN to just try something...and let me tell you, his 'like' list has really grown.

But they plan meals together and grocery shop together, and sometimes she makes meals with things he doesn't like, and he will either not eat it, pick it out, or make his own meals.

If he's the picky one, the so be it. You can't limit yourself to three vegetables because he doesn't like everything else. I'd still go ahead and make the meal I want, but also may try and accommodate his tastes, or make substitutions [ie if you wanted green beans, make some potatoes too.]

Does he help plan meals? Does he know how difficult it is to try and cook for a picky eater? Is he willing to atleast TRY IT? [My sister has a one bite policy with her fiance, same thing you would do for a child...her fiance is so set on not liking things from CHILDHOOD that he hasn't tried them since, and he is totally coming around to ALOT of things]

I was going to suggest if you cook dinner, to make 2 vegetable dishes. say, the one with the potatoes or corn he likes, and then another, more adventurous one you want to try. And if he doesn't like it, don't worry, because you can pack it in your lunch and take it to work.

I actually disagree with him cooking his own meals as it will only widen the gap and make it more difficult to enjoy a meal together.

I had a similar problem with a partner because he didnt like the texture of vegetables (beans are powdery, green beans are squeeky on his teeth) and other things like the taste which he didnt like. It used to drive me mad. You can however train the brain to like tastes...

So I used to put loads of veg in sauces (like a tomato sauce for pasta etc) and blend it really smooth before serving it. I never told him. Over time, I would say 'why dont you try some broccolli'... and he'd protest he didnt like it but when he tried it, he found it wasnt so bad .Little did he know i'd been feeding it to him for months before hand and he'd become accustomed to the taste.

I really think this kind of thing can really cause quite a bit of strain on a relationship - so try not to let it. I know the above is sneaky - but men can be so immature and stubborn. He actually thanked me in the end!

I actually disagree with him cooking his own meals as it will only widen the gap and make it more difficult to enjoy a meal together.

I had a similar problem with a partner because he didnt like the texture of vegetables (beans are powdery, green beans are squeeky on his teeth) and other things like the taste which he didnt like. It used to drive me mad. You can however train the brain to like tastes...

So I used to put loads of veg in sauces (like a tomato sauce for pasta etc) and blend it really smooth before serving it. I never told him. Over time, I would say 'why dont you try some broccolli'... and he'd protest he didnt like it but when he tried it, he found it wasnt so bad .Little did he know i'd been feeding it to him for months before hand and he'd become accustomed to the taste.

I really think this kind of thing can really cause quite a bit of strain on a relationship - so try not to let it. I know the above is sneaky - but men can be so immature and stubborn. He actually thanked me in the end!

He's willing to try things to a certain extent. But heathcliffe kind of hit the nail on the head here with this:

My fiance does help me pick out meals sometimes, and he actually cooks about 25% of the time (I do it more because I prefer to). But I definitely agree with heathcliffe on this one. I did tell my fiance today that I would like to have a night every now and then where I make something I want to try with stuff in it he doesn't like, and that for those nights he can plan something to eat instead if he doesn't like it. He seems okay with that, and I'm hoping that as long as it's an occasional thing it will work out okay.

Archived