Getting bitten everytime I sleep during the night

Lately, I have been getting bug bites everytime I sleep during the night. I wake up and I find a few bug bites on my arm and one on my face. My room is clean and not messy. My bed sheets are clean and I wash them every week. I looked at my bed and I do not see any bugs at all. During the day I do not see any bugs flying around and my windows are kept close. Whatever is biting me during the night, only comes out during the night and hides during the day. I'm tired of getting bitten every night. Is there any particular bug spray that is not so strong that I can spray in my room that won't make me sick?

Sounds like you might have a bed bug problem. Google them. You will find tons of links that tell you how to check for them in your bed and get rid of them. It's very hard to get rid of bed bugs with sprays that you buy at supermarkets. In most cases, you actually have to get professionals to come in and fumigate your house with high toxic products to kill them as they are very resistant.

what do the bites look like on your skin? google bedbug bites and flea bites

have you been anywhere lately like a hotel? Have you gotten a used mattress? Are there any pets in your home or have you been around any pets?

You can get bug bombs. You set one off in your room and leave for several hours then air the place out. Try one of those to see if it helps.

try looking really closely at the fabrics..magnifying glass. also, cockroaches and other bugs are night crawlers (not just bed bugs). Cockroaches do bite (many people think they don't) but if you smell like food they will. Do you put anything on your skin at night? Do you use scented soaps...

Also, bed bugs are very tricky, they could be hiding anywhere. Do you have carpets?

Most likely, it is bed bugs. They only come out at night. Bed bugs are probably impeded in your mattress. I would get rid of the mattress and get a new one. I would wash the bedding more often than once a week, maybe every other day for awhile. I think the mattress itself is the main culprit.

ok.... so this is really crazy... but i had the SAME problem. they weren't bed bugs. I had a new mattress delivered to my place. roommate had a dog. started getting bites.... moved... other roommate had a dog, kept getting bites. washed my sheets like a maniac, vacuumed. they did not look like bed bug bites! i would go and stay the night at other peoples houses... bites!!! eventually they just went away but at one point i was so freakin itchy i had to go to the doctors and get a cream with steroids for the itch. they just went away eventually... but freakin' A, I never figured it out, and never did anything different....

ok.... so this is really crazy... but i had the SAME problem. they weren't bed bugs. I had a new mattress delivered to my place. roommate had a dog. started getting bites.... moved... other roommate had a dog, kept getting bites. washed my sheets like a maniac, vacuumed. they did not look like bed bug bites! i would go and stay the night at other peoples houses... bites!!! eventually they just went away but at one point i was so freakin itchy i had to go to the doctors and get a cream with steroids for the itch. they just went away eventually... but freakin' A, I never figured it out, and never did anything different....

Sounds almost like fleas. I'm glad they went away for you.

If your sheets are clean, I doubt they are bed bugs or fleas. I live in a place where there are lots of creepy crawlies, and get bitten all the time. But they are not bed bugs or fleas. They are usually things like small spiders that get into the house. Recently, I sprayed the edges of my room, doorway, window and other openings with Baygon surface spray (I don't know if you can get anything similar where you live?) It did the trick and I haven't been bitten in ages!

I don't know why everyone is assuming that they are bed bugs or fleas!

Forgot to mention my cat got bugs after he went outside once. We nicknamed him "bugsy" until he got better lol, but he'd sleep in my bed and I'd wake up with bites. They were little black bugs...

They would bite the moment they came into contact with your skin (wouldn't even wait)..they were ruthless and it really hurt! Check your pets as well.

The bites are small like a mosquito bite and my sheets are always clean. There are no holes in the mattress where they can hide. I carefully checked all over the mattress, rails, corners, underneath and nothing. I do not think it is bed bugs at all.

Like I suggested, it's probably small insects somehow getting into your room. I have had this experience before and found a small hole in my flyscreen which insects were getting through. I went around the perimeter and sprayed all the openings to my room with baygon surface spray and the problem ceased. There is probably a similar product available where you live.

I will look for Baygon spray at the store. Does it have a strong odor?

The poster who suggested this particular product lives in Australia, so there is a strong possiblity that you will not find it in the US. I would go to a hardware store and ask them what kind of bug spray they would recommend. Maybe some sort of bug bomb may do the job...chi

I will look for Baygon spray at the store. Does it have a strong odor?

You might not find that particular brand as I live in Australia. Just ask at a hardware superstore. There are usually heaps of sprays you can get that are odorless or allergy friendly. Then spray the perimeter of your room and around any 'openings' (windows, doors, air vents, etc). Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived