Bad memorization and learning skills, Failing tests/jobs because of it...

I'm really concerned if perhaps I'm a little slow or retarded.. As far as I can remember, I've always had a problem with learning certain skills and passing tests and memorizing things I've read or saw on a video. I did horribly in high school because of it, always failing tests no matter how hard I studied or whatever, when it came to memorizing and taking tests, I always seem to forget what I read or what I studied. I always seem to make the simplest things more complicated than what it needs to be, forgetting minor steps to a project etc etc.People have always called me the ditzy girl,slow and retarded because of my loose mindedness and I don't know if I need help or not. I can excel really well on certain things, just depends on what it is, other things I have a hard time with. I'm 25 and I've been bouncing from job to job for years..I never bothered going back to college because I feel like I would bomb just like I did in high school... I barely made it out of school.

Like yesterday I got called in for a job interview to work at my local airport, interview went fine so I got called in today to go to the airport to take a training test. They had like 40 computers for each person being interviewed to take and you have to watch videos and answer the questions pertaining to the video and I bombed the test. They say if you fail it the first time, you have to wait an entire day and retake it the following day meaning tomorrow. That was so embarrassing to me to leave early because I couldn't answer simple questions I couldn't remember from the training video. I just find it so hard to focus and become interested in the material that was being shown to me, and we can't take notes or anything of that nature.I seemed to be the only one struggling to remember what was being said and what was shown on the video, even though I sat there and tried to memorize the best of my ability... Now I'm a little on edge about going in tomorrow and retaking it in fear that I'm going to bomb the test.... I don't know if there's a limit to how many times I can take the test or I'll lost this job altogether so I'm a little on edge.. I just can't seem to remember and do well on tests...

Since when you were in school you weren't checked for a learning disability and taught skills on how to work around it, perhaps you are not retarding but maybe have something else like testing anxiety. You should mention this to your doctor and get the proper referral for through testing to see if there is a problem, some can be fixed others cannot.

Hey I hope you do well on your interview test. Good luck!!! It's great you can take it again.

Last summer when I was studying for a very important test, I felt like I couldn't concentrate. I was under so much pressure. So I did some research and found this herbal supplement called Bacopa Monnieri. I was hesitant to try it, but I gave it a shot anyway. I cannot even begin to describe how much it works. There really is something potent in it that improves concentration and retention. I know I sound like a commercial lol But I'm willing to look silly just to rave about this stuff. If you're interested, here is a link to an example. Read all the product reviews too if my review doesn't convince you.

link removed

The Gold Standard in pure Bacopa extract

Highest potency of Bacosides A & B (175 mg) in each vegetarian capsule

500 mg in each capsule / 90 vegetarian capsules per bottle

Key Health Benefits: Supports cognitive (attention, memory, learning) health*

Supports emotional (calmness, relaxation) health*

I agree with Jetta. I have these problems and work with people who also go through the same struggles as you do. I definitely think you have a learning disability going on. I highly recommend seeing a doctor to overcome this.

Check with a doctor as soon as you can about this. If you have a learning disability, you can start working on strategies that will help you in dealing with these issues. You will also have support when entering the test to where you can request certain modifications to the test. Note taking and taking it in on your own would be two that should be allowed. That's something the testing center/airport cannot turn down if you have a disability under ADA law.

Check with a doctor as soon as you can about this. If you have a learning disability, you can start working on strategies that will help you in dealing with these issues. You will also have support when entering the test to where you can request certain modifications to the test. Note taking and taking it in on your own would be two that should be allowed. That's something the testing center/airport cannot turn down if you have a disability under ADA law.

You have to have proof of disability in order to get around the testing requirements, which is not easy.

I suggest that you look up different Learning Styles. People learn differently. Some can hear a lecture and remember it for weeks. Some need to read and write everything in order to remember it. Some people learn by doing and some by watching. It might help a little bit with studying if you take the test to see what your specific learning style is.

Archived