180 Degree Changes: Why do they turn so mean? What it means?

The cold heartedness being a result of pain was definitely not the case with my ex. I found out that he'd been treating me like crap on purpose in order to push me to break up with him. Instead of caring enough for me to just break up with me and save me all the pain, he decided to stomp on my heart until I broke. He obviously felt no pain about giving me up.

This is so true...in fact after 5 weeks of not seeing my ex..when I did see him I didn't even recognize him! He was so cold and we had a few classes together (same major unfortunately) and he would speak to everyone around me but me...he had so much anger. They get so angry because they still care so much about you...it's easier to be angry because maybe then the other person will turn cold in response...and it would make everyone's life easier because you'll eventually turn indifferent to each other since there's all this anger floating around. They're definitely hurting, or else they wouldn't be this cold or angry. The whole breaking up peacefully in my mind only happens when both sides want to break up (mutually) and that is soooo rare of a thing to happen.