Is it possible to eat healthy on a $50 per week budget?

I am able to do it. That's roughly how much I allow for groceries at the moment as I am saving most of my pay check. Just be wise and write a list before you go to the supermarket OR shop online. Most big supermarkets have the prices for every item in stock online, so you can work out how much you're spending before you go. I like to support my local community, so I get all of my produce from the farmers market. If you have one near you, it's worth checking out. Sometimes you can save a lot (sometimes not though!)

What do you mean by "healthy"? Less processed and pre-packaged foods? I believe you can, you just need to know how and what to cook. And cook in bulk. Make a big soup/stir fry/whatever and portion it, save it in the freezer. I usually do my cooking on a sunday, I'll cook three dishes and they'll last me 3-6 days and I'll spend under $20. (I'm vegetarian though - meat is expensive)

Feel free to ask me anything else, I've been living frugally for a long time

I shop at my local dollar store and they have an awesome produce section! I can feed two people in a very healthy manner on a little more than $50 per week. So, feeding one is definitely doable. We have fresh veggies, milk, fruit, juice, salad fixings, etc... We are almost vegetarians so we rarely eat meat. They do have small steaks and porkchops we buy occaisonally. Try it.

I shop at my local dollar store and they have an awesome produce section! I can feed two people in a very healthy manner on a little more than $50 per week. So, feeding one is definitely doable. We have fresh veggies, milk, fruit, juice, salad fixings, etc... We are almost vegetarians so we rarely eat meat. They do have small steaks and porkchops we buy occaisonally. Try it.

So jealous! Our "dollar stores" have tomato paste for $1, which is a deal, haha. Nothing fresh at the dollar store here.

You'd be suprised what you can make with $50 per week. I lived off close to $20 when I was making my start here, and that included bottled water I've since kept my costs pretty low, I could make a stir fry for around $5 that'd last me 2 days. You'd be suprised! Just budget yourself, control your eating and profit!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Meat is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure I could live without it. I have never tried it. One way I thought maybe I could save some money is by buying a bigger box of cereal instead of a smaller box and a box of oatmeal. I might save a dollar or two there. I also thought, what if I bought a dozen eggs, and had one or two eggs for breakfast, then I wouldn't have to spend money on milk, but is that a healthy decision?

I love the 99 cent only store. I go absolutely crazy in there. Oatmeal that is normally 3-4 a box, I can get for 99cents.

OP, also look into coupons. You can print many of them online. I save a lot of money using coupons every week.

Definitely. My budget is almost half that! I eat a lot of lentils...they fill you up, are very nutritious and are super inexpensive! Look up a recipe for Dal (there are several kinds too for variety sake). I have a rotating menu that I've gotten fairly used to eating with some wildcard dishes thrown in for excitement. Salads, milk, fruits, veggies (baked, stir fried, and raw...invest in a bunch of spices and look up recipes to try). You can definitely stick to your budget. I think it just boils down to predetermining dishes/recipes and schedule for the week, etc.

The budget has to include juice and milk. Is this even a possibility at $50 per week?

Neither milk nor juice are particularly healthy. Unless you have outside reasons for needing them, cut them from your groceries. That would be my advice. I used to buy juice/milk all the time and cut them out a few years ago.

Yep, Metro, the 99 Cents Only Store. Jar of Nescafe coffee, 99 cents. A large bag of russett potatoes, 99 cents. A quart of milk, 99 cents. One dozen Roma tomatoes, 99 cents. Buddig sliced meats, 99 cents a package. I eat very well on $50 per week. Rib Eye steaks are also 99 cents, as are boxes of cereal, butter, sour cream, broccolli, carrots, cilantor (I put cilantro in everything!). I used to shop at a chain supermarket...no more.

Yep, Metro, the 99 Cents Only Store. Jar of Nescafe coffee, 99 cents. A large bag of russett potatoes, 99 cents. A quart of milk, 99 cents. One dozen Roma tomatoes, 99 cents. Buddig sliced meats, 99 cents a package. I eat very well on $50 per week. Rib Eye steaks are also 99 cents, as are boxes of cereal, butter, sour cream, broccolli, carrots, cilantor (I put cilantro in everything!). I used to shop at a chain supermarket...no more.

Not to mention salad dressings, condiments, toothpaste and soap. The list goes on and on.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Meat is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure I could live without it. I have never tried it. One way I thought maybe I could save some money is by buying a bigger box of cereal instead of a smaller box and a box of oatmeal. I might save a dollar or two there. I also thought, what if I bought a dozen eggs, and had one or two eggs for breakfast, then I wouldn't have to spend money on milk, but is that a healthy decision?

I think as long as you buy only what you need and don't waste you should be able to eat all of those. Cereal is one of the biggest wastes though. If you have to choose between meat or cereal I would say meat any day. Even healthy cereal is "meh".

Don't get a "box of oatmeal", get a bag of steel cut or at least quick oats -boxes of individually prepackaged portions are a waste.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes carrots celery and onions are always cheap. Bananas, apples, oranges available all year at reasonable prices. Right now winter squash is a great deal as are Brussels sprouts to name a few.

Buy cheap cuts of meat cooked slowly will taste great. Nothing wrong with dark chicken cuts, much cheaper than breasts and more flavorful.

Brown rice or even white tends to be more filling and cheaper than pasta,but variety is the spice of life! Quinoa can sometimes be found at good prices but it's sooooo goooood.

Seriously you have enough money to splurge on some treats and milk, meat, cheese, snacks etc as long as you shop smart overall. Seasonal produce is at it's peak for taste and at it's cheapest at the same time so it's a win-win. Get oriented with what produce is seasonal in your area and incorporate at least one item into your meals. For example right now tomatoes, asparagus, berries are out - acorn squash and sweet potatoes are way in. Mandarin oranges get cheaper every day that goes by too yummmm...

International/Asian markets are cheaper. If you got one by your house, shop there. Also don't hesitate to use coupons! They will save you. link removed or picking up the Sunday paper for coupons really do help.

Man, I wish I had a dollar store with a produce section!

Where I live (Toronto, Canada) Metro is not a cheap store. I'll be sure to do a price comparison with your Metro and mine if I ever visit LA.

But damn, prices down there are impressive!

Where I live (Toronto, Canada) Metro is not a cheap store. I'll be sure to do a price comparison with your Metro and mine if I ever visit LA.

But damn, prices down there are impressive!

US "expensive" is usually a Canadian STEAL! Have comparison shopped in many different states vs. my local grocery stores and it makes me almost cry! Exact same items are 15-65% more expensive in my province, but being landlocked is a bit of a contributor to the higher prices vs say Ontario or B.C even.

Yes, I do smuggle ketchup accross the border.

Have you ever seen the TV show "Extreme Couponing" or... I forget the title but it involves coupons.

The people in that show will go to stores and buy stuff, AND THE STORE GIVES THEM MONEY BACK. That's impossible here in Canada as far as I know.

Resorts in the US tend to be more expensive right? Now that I think about it, their prices weren't so different from ours, and their alcohol was cheaper too.

Archived