If your young child had an undeniable talent and wanted to pursue it, would you

scared and alone

What is the actual scenario? It is easy to get people to agree or disagree with you with only this vague, general question. Are you trying to make a decision?

In general, I would encourage them to practice if they loved it or take lessons if they loved it and try out for the school play, but I would not get them an agent or push them professionally at all. I would let them be a kid. If they are extremely talented, they will also be as an adult, but at that point, they will have the emotional maturity to do it with a level head. Children aim to please their parents and also cannot make mature decisions about some things, so sometimes this "love" to do it can be skewed. Small children, especially, tend to change their dreams regularly. I don't know the whole story, but like I say, let them be a kid and if they really love it, they will make a career or hobby out of it as an adult of their own choosing. And they will have the emotional maturity because they were allowed to form natural relationships with other children their age rather than being in rehearsals, etc, constantly.

I say go for it! I'd be extremely cautious about the kind of environments your child will get exposed to, but taking an active interest in your child's dreams at a young age is a wonderful thing. Obviously, it's crucial not to get caught up in one dream without any other options and without taking the time to develop other skills, but I think there is nothing wrong with being well rounded as well as excellent. I wish my own parents had been more supportive of my dreams--I was raised in a household where my dreams were discouraged and sometimes punished. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hopefully, your child will someday look back and be grateful for the close relationship you have and reliable support network you provided. Be professional about your child's ambitions--this can be done without them growing up too fast : ) Many kids are also more innately responsible than a lot of parents give them credit for anyway. I'd be frank and honest with him or her about the realities too--they will eventually need your guidance to understand why they need avoid falling into peer pressure pit falls etc...but that's also just parenting.

My son is musical. I could tell this from when he was just one year old and on his own figured out how to fret the strings on my guitar and sing the different notes he was picking.

I enrolled him in music lessons right away.

His teacher allowed him to play and explore every type of instrument available, and he's shown a definite inkling towards drums.

My first reaction was "arg, why DRUMS?" When I had enrolled him, I was hoping that when he was older he could study jazz and classical, like I did, but now I was picturing him in a teenage garage band. Crap. Not to mention, even the most epic drum solo still isn't up my alley.

I didn't stop him though. If he shows drumming talent, so be it, he was born to be a drummer. I want him to be good at what he loves and find joy in music. It's my job to support him in being the best he can be, it's not my job to mold him into what I want him to be.

Since he's so young, I'm still dragging to lessons that include trying other instruments, as even though he loves drums I'm not entirely sure he's ready to specialize. So he spends half his class on drums, and half his class with other things.

My daughter is a dancer. She has been dancing since she was 2. She now decides the style of dance she wants to take, and I pack her to the lessons, I buy the uniforms and costumes. She brings the dedication, and I bring my wallet.

As for being a "stage parent"

It's no big deal. My kids have one lesson each per week, and one big recital per year.

I do ask them to practice, but since they both love it, it isn't like pulling teeth. I'm not having to nag them to practice and they don't miss out on play time due to practicing.

I usually ask my daughter to show me what she learned in dance, and she's happy to put on a show for me. If she ever has idle time while waiting for an appointment she dances. She naturally has good study skills and isolates moves and works on them on her own, without being told to. She truly enjoys it so there's never a problem.

As for my son, he's very young. My bf comes over about once a week to jam with me, and he joins in for a few minutes. Any time the radio is on he grabs something to drum on.

For my kids, their practice blends easily with their play and they don't see it as a chore. I never have to be a drill sargent.

Archived