Friends after a relationship...good idea?

Things ended between me and her mutually. I still care about her allot though. We are trying to be friends and it is really hard for me, hearing her talk about this other guy she likes when I am around her and her friends. Not about how she likes him, but just mentioning him and knowing she likes him. Normally I would not do the friends thing, but she has a serious medical issue right now that is scaring her, and I have shown her more care and kindness about it then anyone else since it happened, and it is possibly fatal.

It helps her when she can talk to me about it, and I want to help her through it, but at the same time it is so hard hearing how she likes someone else, and being friends after, just knowing she cares about someone else now, and what we had she is going to build up to with him.

What should I do?

I wouldn't try, either.

How is it that you have to be all considerate and listen to her feelings about her illness... but she doesn't have to be considerate and think about how what she's talking about (some other dude) might hurt you. And it doesn't matter if you've never brought it up. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that your ex might not want to hear about some other guy. Selfish, selfish, selfish.

You aren't her friend. Friends are considerate of each other and care about each other's feelings. You are her doormat, IMO.

Having a fatal illness does not excuse you from being a jerk.

cut off all ties with the ex. staying friends with ex will only prolong moving on with your life. it is not wise if u want your life and identity back.

u can try being friends with the ex after both of u are over each other, that may take months at least which is why u should just forget it.

if u meet someone else u might jeopardize your chance of making it work with the future bf/gf so cut off the ex for your own good.

Archived