The Decision

Hi everyone,

I had a Customer Service inetrview this past Thursday at a small company. Their Customer service is business to business. I can't decide whether or not I want the job if it is offered.

The place is like 3 minutes away from where I live. I currently drive 15 minutwes to my job working in the Fitness area at a Rec Center. I don't make much money at all where I work, but I like it. I work 30ish hours a week there. I'm very well liked by my supervisors, and they pretty much bend over backwards to accommodate my needs.

The Customer Service job is Full Time. It would be a few thousand more dollars a year, and includes benefits. I've read however that a lot of people say working in Customer Service is one of the worst jobs, and that Custopmer Service employees are often treated like children. I don't know if I can picture myself doing it. Wearing a headset in a cubicle all day. I like to get around and be active. My cousin is the one who posted the job, he works there. He's my best friend, and was recently hired as a Marketing guy.

I'm in college currently and really want to get that done. I've been working since after my first year of college, (PT, flexible schedule) so it's gone really slow. I'm a Communications major in my third year. I already have my Associate's Degree.

It has been really stressing me out what I'm going to do. I'm an emotional person and I keep going back and forth.

What should I do? Has anyone worked in Customer Service? Does it suck?

Liking your job, getting on well with your supervisors and having a flexible schedule is priceless, especially while you are in college.

I'd stay, unless you think your current employer would take you back if the new job doesn't work out.

I think that you should take the job that will help you the most in your future career after you graduate. What do you do at the fitness center?

Just regular fitness stuff. The job is mainly talking to people, setting machines up for classes, checking-in classes, and laundry. Customer Service B2B is technically communicating, but I have more of a web and writing background.

Customer service job B to B isn't that bad actually. For the most part you work with professionals and most times they are understanding. Since your cousin works there why don't you get some feedback from him?

That's what my dad was saying. My cousin seems to like it there. He says it's pretty laid back. I guess the thing is that I just don't know if I'd want to do it long-term, you know?

Liking your job, getting on well with your supervisors and having a flexible schedule is priceless, especially while you are in college.

I'd stay, unless you think your current employer would take you back if the new job doesn't work out.

A patron form my current job that I used as a reference said to stay on at the Rec Center one day a week if I get it. It would have to be a weekend though, a six hour shift. One girl that worked there left for a while but got fired for goofing off at some job too much and had to come back. She got a decent amount of her hours back, but maybe like 2/3 of them total. She had to also start working at the Front Desk to cover it.

My leaving would be a bombshell to my boss since I work there 5 days a week and more than anyone else. He also was going to train me on some upkeep stuff with the machines that would be an extra 90-100 dollars every paycheck.

This is all IF they even offer me the job. I have a pretty good shot at it though because they will have only interviewed five people, the last of which being tomorrow.

Personally I would stick with the rec center job, especially because you're in college and they're working with you. I live for flexibility. Do you need the benefits the other job would provide? If so that's the only reason I'd taken but, I've done customer service and their strict with time. You have to be there on the dot and work your full-time shift. I really wouldn't take that job at this point in your life.

Personally I would stick with the rec center job, especially because you're in college and they're working with you. I live for flexibility. Do you need the benefits the other job would provide? If so that's the only reason I'd taken but, I've done customer service and their strict with time. You have to be there on the dot and work your full-time shift. I really wouldn't take that job at this point in your life.

This is what I'm leaning towards. I've got some tough classes coming up. I may not be able to take them online. If I need a math tutor or something, then what? I've never had a real FT job before though.

I hate making these decisions. I feel like nothing I do is right.

There is a big difference between business to business customer service versus the type when regular customers (consumers) call in. You would be calling on businesses during office hours usually. Even if its a gym that is 24 hours will have the person dealing with equipment ordering call during regular business hours. Depending on who they service, the customer service position may require your shift to start slightly early if you are on the west coast (7 to 2 instead of 9 to 5 to catch the east coasters) or if you are on the east coast, maybe slightly later to catch the west coasters. But other than that, you may occasionally get an upset person but in general when you are dealing with business clients, it is a different ballgame.But the hours might be really just 36-40 hours if its B to B.

If you don't take this, would the door be open in the future?

Full-time means they expect your life basically. Sometimes overtime, but definitely 40 hours of your shift a week. I know it's tempting but you'll be happier if you stick with the rec center for now.

It might be better. I'm already older than most BS graduates and around 2.5 or 2.75 years through school.

There is a big difference between business to business customer service versus the type when regular customers (consumers) call in. You would be calling on businesses during office hours usually. Even if its a gym that is 24 hours will have the person dealing with equipment ordering call during regular business hours. Depending on who they service, the customer service position may require your shift to start slightly early if you are on the west coast (7 to 2 instead of 9 to 5 to catch the east coasters) or if you are on the east coast, maybe slightly later to catch the west coasters. But other than that, you may occasionally get an upset person but in general when you are dealing with business clients, it is a different ballgame.But the hours might be really just 36-40 hours if its B to B.

If you don't take this, would the door be open in the future?

What happens with school then? With the overtime and the Full Time day job when can I take classes if I'm not getting off work until six or six thirty? Do I need to do what's best for my career? Wouldn't that be focusing on school?

Archived