Asperger's maybe? Some advice needed...

Triple444

I’ve posted a question regarding my crush, with whom I went on 2 dates with last year .

So much has happened (and not happened) since then, but there is just something about him that I find odd/weird and I just can’t put my finger on it. I was discussing him with a friend and she said he might have Asperger’s Syndrome and I was wondering whether there was anyone on the site who would be able to answer a few questions regarding this? I’d prefer to pm if that’s ok?

I know that this is probably not the correct way or the right forum for this, but this is all I currently have...

It would be so much appreciated as it would clear up so many misunderstandings that there were and maybe an apology from me to him as well. If it’s not, then I would assume there’s a screw loose somewhere.

I have a mild form of AS.

But it's not a issue for me anymore. We Aspies can reach happiness in a conventional way as well.

That's great! I know guys generally have a problem approaching women they're attracted to, but with AS it's considerably worse.. Do you have that problem and if so, how do you deal with it?

I had three dates a few years ago with a guy who had AS. I'm not sure where his functioning would fall on the scale, but to me, it was pretty severe. It was like he socially existed in a bubble and simply could not connect with people, nor could he read social cues, understand jokes/humor, etc. Physically as well, to a certain degree. He was very bright, had a masters degree and a great job with a lot of responsibility, but he was not someone I could date.

I had three dates a few years ago with a guy who had AS. I'm not sure where his functioning would fall on the scale, but to me, it was pretty severe. It was like he socially existed in a bubble and simply could not connect with people, nor could he read social cues, understand jokes/humor, etc. Physically as well, to a certain degree. He was very bright, had a masters degree and a great job with a lot of responsibility, but he was not someone I could date.

Sorry to hear that. May I ask who initially asked for the date?

Sorry to hear that. May I ask who initially asked for the date?

We met on link removed.

When we first started talking on the phone, I felt something was off. He would always hesitate before responding. He told me later it was because he used to have a habit of saying the wrong things, so he learned to wait. It really threw off conversation, however.

The second clue, was when we first met. He just stared at me. Said nothing. It was like he was on drugs (he wasn't).

Third was when we went to the movies, and he sat next to me, stiff as a board, with his hands balled into fists, resting on his knees. He moved not an inch for three hours (it was one of those epic Bradd Pitt movies).

Other things happened, like, when we went out to dinner, and I was joking with the hostess. He later REAMED me out for what I said to her. Which was stunning. He completely was unable to read humor, and therefore assess the situation properly. He later conceded he was wrong and didn't get what happened. He just socially didn't click, nor was he able to read normal social cues and behaviors.

The final straw was so over the top, I won't even post it. Suffice to say it was the final display of dating someone who simply was unable to connect with another person.

That's great! I know guys generally have a problem approaching women they're attracted to, but with AS it's considerably worse.. Do you have that problem and if so, how do you deal with it?

Actually I've had problems approaching, but not so often.

The thing is that I don't have problems when it's about getting dates.

My problem is when having to get further. Then either me o her lose/s interest.

That's why I've had sparsed serious relationships.

So Triple444, did you manage to know more about AS and to handle Aspies??

I have been in regular contact with someone from this forum (since this thread) who is involved with a guy who has AS and she has really shed some light on this topic for me and for this I am truly grateful. It seems there's a strong possibility that the guy in question has AS, but that's obviously an unofficial diagnosis.

So much makes sense now, the pieces of the puzzle finally fit and I am relieved in a way that there was an explanation for his "unusual" behaviour...and he's not a weirdo as I had feared

Thanks to you too for your input.

Archived