Graduate School Options - Advice Needed

I need some advice on my graduate school options. I'm hoping that some outside perspectives will help me come to a decision.

Here is the background:

-I have $31,000 in student loan debt that I accumulated for my bachelor of arts in political science at a private university.

-I was accepted into two graduate schools. School A is a highly ranked (top 30) private university in a metropolitan area. School B is a state university in a rural area.

-School A is going to cost me $60,000 for a Master of Arts in Social Studies Education. School B will cost me $25,000 for the same degree.

-If I go to school A, I'll live on campus and probably be able to walk to all of my classes and the school that I student teach at. If I go to school B, I'll have an hour-long commute, to and from school, every day.

-Obviously, when I graduate, I'll be a teacher, so I'll be working with a teacher's salary in terms of student loan repayment.

-I might want to go back to school eventually for a PhD.

My question is, given the information that I just provided, would you go to school A or school B?

Can you find out whether you get the funding before you make your decision?

Definitely not. They told me that the waitlist for full funding is something they're not going to be looking at until after the April 15th deadline. I'm acting under the assumption that every penny will be have to paid for by student loans.

Then you'll be losing two hours of potential study time by going to school B. You may find it quite difficult to fit in teaching, studying, sleeping, showering, etc. (You'd be surprised how many graduate students really do skip showers when they're panicking and need time to study)

I mean, I would love to, but I don't think that sort of option is really available as far as I can tell. From what I've read, TA positions in the department of education are reserved for doctoral students.

would it make sense for you to just enter the doctoral program directly?

No, because I'm not certified to be a teacher. I have to go through the masters program in order to obtain certification.

I don't understand. Teacher certification is different from a doctoral program. I'm bringing up the possibility instead of going for the masters' and getting a certification, to go straight through and complete the PhD. you don't need to be a teacher to enter a doctoral program.

Was it worth it to get your BA if you had to take on $31,000 of debt?

Yes, but $31,000 for four years seems extremely different to me than $60,000 for one year. I'm leaning toward the cheaper option, but I just feel like I'll be losing out on the chance to go to a prestigious university. I also just found out that I have to come up with a $600 deposit for housing at school A. I'm thinking school B is really my only option.

I don't understand. Teacher certification is different from a doctoral program. I'm bringing up the possibility instead of going for the masters' and getting a certification, to go straight through and complete the PhD. you don't need to be a teacher to enter a doctoral program.

I understand what you're saying, but I can't teach without certification. I was saying that I might like to go back to school somewhere down the road for a doctoral degree, once I've already established myself as a teacher. I was saying it in the context of... if I take out $60k now, thats less that I can afford to take out if I decide to go back to school later.

It won't be easy to pay off those loans. Have you sat down to figure out:

a) exactly how much each option would cost you (living expenses, transportation, potential funding. Let's say you have a 10% chance of getting 15,000 in funding. The the expected value of that would be 1,500 (.10 times 15,000). Factor it in that way.)

b) how much you'd have to pay per month once you start working to pay off Loan A vs. Loan B.

...See whether you can even afford the more expensive option.

Yah, I can't realistically afford school A. I don't like the idea of having student loans hanging over my head for 30 years because I chose to go to a more expensive school. I plan to live a minimalistic lifestyle after college, like I did in college, so that I can pay my student loans off in four years. I won't be able to do that if I go to school A. Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived