Open Club  ·  32 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Who's been to Toronto?

SHS

I'm a college freshman traveling to Toronto, Canada for the first time!

Anyone who lives/has been to Toronto I would appreciate any insight into what I HAVE to see/do!

Also, any advice on where to exchange American money for Canadian money?

Lots of things to do and see in Toronto. Some examples: Going up the CN Tower, Toronto Island (better in the summer), Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). Walking along Queen Street, Chinatown, downtown Yonge street, walking along Bloor Street, Casa Loma, Greek food on the Danforth. Lots of nightlife.

Lots of things to do and see in Toronto. Some examples: Going up the CN Tower, Toronto Island (better in the summer), Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). Walking along Queen Street, Chinatown, downtown Yonge street, walking along Bloor Street, Casa Loma, Greek food on the Danforth. Lots of nightlife.

How could you forget the hockey hall of fame?? lol

I live in the Tdot. CAD pretty much summed things up.

Check the Eaton Centre out for shopping (although, its undergoing some renos right now so its a bit messy). Maybe catch a game at the Air Canada Centre (raptor tickets are pretty cheap and a fun time). What time of the year are you going? If its a warm-ish day, hit up the Brickworks for a hike/photo session. Also consider the Distillery District.

There are a ton of pubs and clubs to hit. If you are downtown, you will find a great place no matter where you go.

Eat a hotdog on the street. They have better hotdog stands and they grill the hotdogs instead of serving soggy boiled ones, and they have all the sauces self-serve that you can put on by yourself. It's neato.

I used to live in TO...and every summer I couldn't wait for those ice cream trucks that serve the soft ice cream. The hot dog stands are great too.

There is also the theatre district which I believe is on King Street. There are restaurants there as well so you can eat and then see a play.

• 2 weeks later...

The Toronto CNE or Exhibition place is my favorite (It's basically a bunch of rides, fireworks, parades, carnival games, live music, and even a cat show). I live by the lake shore and go to it every year since it's usually right outside my building. The jet show always wakes me up in the morning..It happens near the end of the summer.

My other favorite place is the Toronto zoo. It's the best zoo in Canada, based off it's variety of animals. I go for the wildcats but they have a alittle bit of everything. There is also a museum...I think it's free on thursdays, I haven't gone in a bit. Scotiabank theater is my favorite cinema here too. Really awesome looking! It has a bar and lots of funky neon lights.

Going up the CN tower is fun although a bit costly. I went up there once and will always remember the view. It was really windy when I went.

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in the Greater Toronto Area as a little one, and while I didn't actually go into "Toronto" that often there are some things that definitely stand out in my mind:

-The zoo, which had to be the coolest thing ever.

-The CN Tower. From what I can remember there was a neat restaurant there too.

-Catch a Jays game, even if it's primarily to people-watch!

-See a play! The vast majority of my Toronto memories include driving in to catch a play.

-Local shows - I've heard there are tons of great local bands.

-The ROM (royal ontario museum) sounds nerdy, but is actually very, very cool.

Is Toronto the only place you're hoping to go? I seem to remember Burlington - it was its own city when I was in the area but it might just be considered a section of Toronto now, who knows - had some pretty cool stuff. Past Burlington there are some awesome hiking trails and lakes (apart from the great lakes) and whatnow as well. The Bruce Trail is amazing, as well as the Christie Conservation Area (sometimes known as just Lake Chippowah, not sure of the spelling), Lowville, and even just the city's waterfront.

Lol, yes the hockey hall of fame is there....Ive never been but Im planning a trip there one of these days!!! I LOVE HOCKEY!!

I went to Toronto a while back to visit my LD boyfriend, and we were going to visit the Hall of Fame but I got sick the day we were supposed to go...but I plan on going back, someday soon, and that will be the first place we go.

To the OP, if someone answered your question about money exchange I must have missed it, but you can get it exchanged easily in the airport. They do charge a small fee, but, it's nominal.

That being said, be prepared for things to be more expensive there. My boyfriend and I went out to get a 12-pack of beer, and I was absolutely shocked to see the kind I loved was around $25!! I usually only pay about $13, so yeah...higher prices and more taxes, but lots of things to do.

I hope you have a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I live in T.O.

So much to do. Don't forget to walk along the boardwalk around harbourfront, it's very nice on a warm summer night! Forget hanging out in the malls, walk down Queen St. West, from the Eatons Centre to Bathurst and beyond. Really cool shops along that street.

The Beaches is a must!!!! Also walk down Queen St. East (which is the beaches) yummy ice cream shops! Cute dogs and people.

Forget Tim Horton's, check out Bloor West Village, and eat some Polish doughnuts. And go up to College St. (little Italy) and have a nice espresso.

ALso, YOU MUST go to Kensington Market!!! Go on a Sunday (it's car-free that day)

Oh also forgot, in T.O. there is an "entertainment tax" yeah it sucks, last time I bought $50 dollar concert tickets, the entertainment tax was $10 bucks!

I think it is on all tickets for stuff like live shows, concerts etc. I haven't bought tickets in awhile, so it may not be their anymore but I doubt it. Just be prepared things will likely be more expensive up here

• 1 month later...

I live in Toronto. Go up the CN Tower and stand on the glass floors if you want to give yourself a heart attack. Just kidding! It is scary though. There is a Toronto zoo. You could walk a long the lake. I don't know if the ferries are running but they have ferry tours along the lake to Center Island. There are museums, art galleries, all sorts of events everyday really. Later on this summer the exhibition will open if you like fireworks, rollercoasters, jet shows, and lots of games and stuff like that.

I don't like hockey, but I do like Tim Hortons lol.

Archived