could childhood brain trauma have had effect on me ?

so I was reading about brain trauma and how it could change people's personality, I was shocked to see that depression was one of the symptoms.

when I was 8, I crashed my bike to the back of a parked freight truck and landed on my left side of head on the cement very hard. I remember my head bouncing a few times before I blacked out. When I came to it felt like I was sleepy and was struggling to awaken. I was bleeding all over. I can remember some details of that incident.

I did not go to a hospital because for some reason my father had phobia of hospitals and would not let me see a doctor. I also had fear of receiving stitches and I felt pretty normal besides the pain. He was extremely controlling and physically abusive and had anger problems but that's for another story. Instead, I was scolded for getting into such a mess and received bandages and some medicine for cuts and bruises.

I stayed home for less than a week. It was during this time I felt depression. I returned to school and realized my old classroom was gone and I was with new classmates, and totally new environment. I felt depressed even more. I remember feeling somewhat different since. I became more serious, lacking in emotions, everything was bleak.

This accident was 16 years ago. Before the accident, I was cheerful, happy despite my parent's abusive relationships. The world felt wonderful, I was able to make friends with very little effort, it was very natural for me to be social. After this accident, I felt more "down", sadder, serious....I don't know if it was my control freak dad and my parents fighting....but I developed serious OCD and guilt. Before the accident my parents would fight even more dangerously physical levels, but it never "held" me down. I would move on to keeping happy.

My sister experienced the same family but she seems normal and said she doesn't have the same depression/anger issues as I do it seems.

To this date, the fact that I never went to a doctor immediately after the accident and the fact that I think my personality changed after this accident brings to question whether that was indeed a serious injury to my brain. OR could my personality changes contribute to my parents ? I mean, could an injury have such long term consequences ?

Today, I am able to function normally but as I get older, I have ongoing battle with depression, controlling anger and lots of stuff. I wonder if the accident was a cause.

I suffer(ed) from depression. Its an off an on thing. Sometimes I have bouts that only last a few months, other times years. My brothers don't have it, I do. We grew up in the same environment. My mom beat me up, not my brothers, but my brothers saw it. Maybe she got to them to, but I've never asked. I got a nasty concussion (with blood loss) where I lost my memory completely for a few days. I knew my phone number and address and my name and my family members' names but that was about it. I was taken to the ER immediately.

But I am pretty sure my issues are not concussion related. Its just the way I am. Sometimes I wonder if its my family life, but I actually think I get depressed when I'm bored or feel trapped in a situation combined with when I stop being athletic (I guess I'm an endorphin junkie?).

Bottom line is you can look at circumstances and self-diagnose a lot of things. You know yourself better than any of us here, but presumably your idea of the situation is better than ours - but the best opinion would be one coming from an expert in medicine.

I'd talk to a doctor.

I'd also recommend talking to a doctor.

It's also to form blood on the brain, which can lead to a variety of symptoms. I'm mostly surprised that you haven't gotten this checked out before now; it really is serious, and not just because of depression. A lot of other health risks can be factors.

My advice is to check it with your doc, and get a brain scan done. Most likely, it has nothing to do with the accident...but better safe than sorry.

It's possible but I'd seriously consult a doctor if not a neurologist. The impact on even small fall they say can have a long term effect and in some cases (not to scare you) may be responsibility for permanent brain damage or worse with professional athletes that are perfectly healthy but have had head trauma.

Better to be safe than sorry, as much as someone can say you should've gone to the doctors, it's never late to get it checked out.

Archived