Getting Over Loss of True Love

I think death and loss of a loved one are just as heartbreaking - but with death, while you will always have that person in your heart, you know they are gone for good and you must let go. You think of them at peace and at rest.

With a break up, you know the person is still out there somewhere, you imagine them with someone else, doing all the things you used to do together, you wonder if they are truly over you, or if they are out there somewhere thinking about you and regretting their choice to leave, you can't help but hope they might come back one day.

It is certainly harder to move on from. But eventually you can move on.

I think death and loss of a loved one are just as heartbreaking - but with death, while you will always have that person in your heart, you know they are gone for good and you must let go. You think of them at peace and at rest.

With a break up, you know the person is still out there somewhere, you imagine them with someone else, doing all the things you used to do together, you wonder if they are truly over you, or if they are out there somewhere thinking about you and regretting their choice to leave, you can't help but hope they might come back one day.

It is certainly harder to move on from. But eventually you can move on.

yeah... I agree totally. Well said. The wondering is so true.

I couldn't disagree more markfromark. I think what a lot of people on here are struggling with is that they are really in love, but the relationship cannot work. True love, or mutual love, any kind of love, does not equal a successful relationship. There are a few thousand examples on this board to back that up.

I couldn't disagree more markfromark. I think what a lot of people on here are struggling with is that they are really in love, but the relationship cannot work. True love, or mutual love, any kind of love, does not equal a successful relationship. There are a few thousand examples on this board to back that up.

Almost all relationships could work under good circumstances.... this board just goes to show that those circumstances don't always happen. All relationships get started under good circumstances - a chance meeting, both of you are looking for generally the same thing and such... they all end under bad circumstances.

Knowing my ex replaced me with someone else... hurts more than anything I've ever known in my life. I can't really imagine what could hurt more.

When someone dies, they still love you. They didn't intentionally leave you. There is no "failure". There is no rejection. BIG difference.

The healing process is the same, but some parts of the pain simply don't exist with death (see above).

That probably sounds very selfish on my part - as if I'd rather have my partner dead than alive and well and without me. That isn't what I mean. It's just that it's a little easier to cope with loss when you know they didn't want to leave you.

Archived