Just a Thought (or two) About Stress

sigh Stress

Isn't it the one of the worst feelings that we as humans can feel? I mean for some people it brings about headaches, hairloss, nervous twhiches and a list of other unattractive side effects. . I believe stress introduces itself to our lives as soon as we hit, middle school/6th grade. Think about it, it's the time when you're told you have to leave the security of one classroom and one teacher, and juggle 6, 7, sometimes 8 classes with 8 different teachers! One day you were engaged in a one on one conversation with your teacher about your struggles with the math assignment, and the next you're too busy rushing to your next class to even glance the teachers way, let alone spend some time to get help. And as if that's not bad, our friend Puberty decides to visit. So here you are, a scared, confused, stinky child, dealing with more work than you've ever had to deal with in all of your 11, 12, [or sometimes 13] years of your life....that to me is stress.

Just think though, it doesn't end there, oh no. Then high school happens and that's a whole different level of stress. Peer pressure, more classes, extracurricular activities, boys, girls, dating, sex, drugs, college, sports, driving, self-esteem and believe me, the list goes on. It's amazing not too many of us teenagers are sittin in a hospital bed from a mental breakdown of some sort.

But, having observed the older "more experienced" members of our species, I realize now, all the years of teenage stress, is just the foundation for the years of stress to come. Granted you get married and start a family, you stop stressing for just one person (yourself) and begin a list of people to stress for:

1. Husband/Wife
  2. Kids
  3. Dog
  4. In laws
  5. etc.

It seems there's no end to it. All we can do is maintain the "outbreaks" by trying not to let the little things worry us. 'Cause quite frankly, if you're human, and breathing, stress is going to find you.

Hello notsonaive,

Based on what you wrote, I'm glad I'm out of school Seriously though, you brought up allot of good points and yes, Stress is probably the #1 killer for Americans, one of the reasons many people are on perscriptions, not to mention the way it affects our health. We actually create our own fast paced life though if you think about it... most everyone is busy rushing from one place to another, meeting deadlines, keeping way too busy (never enought time) and then we try to learn "time management" so we can take on more stress...??

Think about it though, we are all in charge of our own life/destination so-to-speak. We can chose our career, whether we want to get married, have kids, get a dog, buy a house, a car...the list goes on. Problem is, we always want a bigger house, a fancier car, a bigger boat...etc. Perhaps if we slowed down a bit to enjoy what we already have, i.e. the people around us, the world arounds us, ...life would be a bit easier. I've been to the top (& bottom) of my life....and the one thing I've learned is, it's not the material things that count, it's the memories you make that are priceless.

Way to go...let me know if you run for president some day.

Woobiegirl