Tried skipping period. Didn't work. When do i start a new BC packet?

miie

Hi,

I've tried to find other places on the web to find out the answer but nothing is clear and i can't get into my doctors for more than a week.

I tried skipping my period by missing the sugar pills and go straight on to the next packet. It worked for the first week - but on the weekend i took them kind of late (stuff was happening and i didn't have them with me). Which i think because i took them late, it brought on the period.

Since monday i have been having brown discharge (enough to wear pad/tampon). It usually starts on a monday, so i stopped taking the pill. For the week its been brown and today (saturday) its red.

What i dont know is, when to start taking the pill again. I usually start a new packet on a saturday. Should i start taking it again today? Even tho i've got something what looks like a period?

Its the first time i've tried skipping it.

Thanks for any help.

That's really strange. Are you sexually active? I have skipped my cycle twice (but wasn't having sex) without an issue. I began a new pack the next day that I was supposed to be taking the sugar pills - six weeks of the hormonal pills!

Are you on the regular pill or the mini pill?

Yep i am. I am on the regular pill.

It was fine for the first week, but i wonder because i was late on the sat/sun it made it arrive on the monday... It would have came the monday before if i didn't try to skip. Then a friend said to stop taking the pill and let the period happen as it usually would - but its been the same through the week..and today.

So im not sure if i should start taking a new packet today. I usually start it on sats.

Why do you want to skip your period?

I have a holiday at the end of the year and it was at the same time and didn't want it as we are going to an island (so...beach, swimming, water sports). So i thought i'd try skipping it to see if it would work. Guess not...! IM glad i tried now and not at the time of the holiday

I agree with your friend, let your period happen as normal and then start it again.

Skipping the sugar pills and starting a new pack may make you skip your period, but some women may experience "break through" bleeding later, which kind of sucks. And that can be unpredictable. So just be careful.

I agree with your friend, let your period happen as normal and then start it again.

Skipping the sugar pills and starting a new pack may make you skip your period, but some women may experience "break through" bleeding later, which kind of sucks. And that can be unpredictable. So just be careful.

Thanks.Im not even sure if this is my period or that break through bleeding. I could be on 'sugar pills' for a few weeks then. I thought it was the period which is why i stopped but if it was it would be finished by now.

Honestly, I think you got your period because you took your pills late. This has happened to people as well.

The "break through" bleeding happens usually when you skip the sugar pills for a couple months, and may miss 1-2 periods and then in the middle of the month or so (when you're still taking the pills!) you may get some bleeding or even just spotting. It's normal if you skip the sugar pills often.

Honestly, I think you got your period because you took your pills late. This has happened to people as well.

The "break through" bleeding happens usually when you skip the sugar pills for a couple months, and may miss 1-2 periods and then in the middle of the month or so (when you're still taking the pills!) you may get some bleeding or even just spotting. It's normal if you skip the sugar pills often.

Oh. Yeah i thought that. I did take them really late so it could have had time to start. Im confused why i still have it unless with taking an extra week it got confused! Should i take the new packet today or wait until next saturday to start? If i wait till next sat it means i haven't taken an actual bc pill for 2 weeks. if i start today, it'll be a week

I'd start today then. Don't worry, you'll get back on track.

Start now and then wait a while for your bleeding to phase out and soon, you'll be able to have sex again without worry.

I'm on the pill myself. I forgot once and I bled and my mom told me I could start then again if I wanted.

I'd start today then. Don't worry, you'll get back on track.

Start now and then wait a while for your bleeding to phase out and soon, you'll be able to have sex again without worry.

I'm on the pill myself. I forgot once and I bled and my mom told me I could start then again if I wanted.

Thank you! I'd like it to get back to the normal cycle on the same day it starts, so if i take it today there might be a better chance of when it gets back to normal it will! lol. Yeah, while i have it i wont be having sex! Its annoying but im not that fussed - as long as it'll get back on track. Im glad i tried it now then just before my holiday where i have to wear a bikini! lol thank you for your help

Even tho i was late taking it which probably made it come - are some bc types not strong enough to skip it?

How BC works is that it basically "tricks" your body into thinking you're pregnant, thus, you won't be ovulating when you take that pill and that's why you can't get pregnant. So when you stop that pill, the effect goes away, and you begin ovulation again.

I believe the progestin-only pills are very finicky...you have to take it every day at a certain time or else...big troubles. The combo pills (which you are probably on) are a little better. You should always take the pill everyday but generally, with the combo pill, you can maybe miss 1-2 days and still have a low risk of getting pregnancy...but I don't recommend it! LOL, stay safe.

I have a holiday at the end of the year and it was at the same time and didn't want it as we are going to an island (so...beach, swimming, water sports). So i thought i'd try skipping it to see if it would work. Guess not...! IM glad i tried now and not at the time of the holiday

Well... tampons work. Try the OB brand because they are shorter and I find they don't leak like some longer ones. You can wear one for hours. It might be a better option then messing with your hormones, etc.

Archived