I still feel like she's "the one".

Yeah, I do.

One of my friends told me that contacting her would be giving her the satisfaction of knowing that I'm still pining for her. It will let her know that she can still have her way with me, that she's still in control. Contacting her would let her know that after all this time I still want her back and haven't moved on, after all this time, I'm still wrapped up in her. And there's no way I'm going to give her that satisfaction, not after how she lied to me for so long, and then left.

Mhmm, don't give her that satisfaction! Even if you did contact her, her response or lack there of could put you back at square one. I think it's better to leave it alone for now.

Yes, absolutely, I still feel like she's "the one"

I've been dating for 20 years, and no-one has come even close to her. I'm not putting her on a pedestal, it's absolutely true.

Even though we met online, she lives 250 yards away from me, and there are 3 or 4 times during our lives that our paths could've crossed before, even overseas. So it felt inevitable we would meet.

When we met, we were both visibly taken aback, it was as close to love at first sight as I can imagine, and for the first few weeks, we were both quite literally in awe of each other.

We couldn't keep our hands off each other, had a scary amount in common with each other ( almost as though we'd led parallel lives ), had the same interests, hopes for the future, and even countless mutual friends, yet we'd never met or heard of each other.

She said at one point that even though she'd only known me a few weeks, it felt like she'd known me for years.

I've never felt so comfortable or at peace with another human being in my life, it felt as though I'd found my other half, and was complete.

We have the same mannerisms, personalities, I even noticed her mirroring phrases I used. It was so weird, but in a good way.

I'm 6 months down the line, and even though I'll get over her, I reckon in 6 years time, I'll still think of her as "the one" I'm afraid. Nobody could be so similar to me in every way, and yet ignite such passion and love in me, it's quite simply impossible for so many factors to come together in one person again.

What happened? I still don't know, a combination of relationship inexperience on my part, some very unlucky cirumstances, and my inability to open up pushed her away. Maybe we are just too bloody similar.

Yeah, I do.

One of my friends told me that contacting her would be giving her the satisfaction of knowing that I'm still pining for her.

Contacting her would just be giving her an opportunity to rip your heart out again.

You want closure, Eddie? You already have it. You just can't face it. She doesn't love you like a woman should love the man she's going to spend her life with. It's that simple, that harsh. If it were anything else, she'd be there with you right now. She'd shave years off her life to be with you. She did the best she could and it wasn't enough.

Eddie, she can no more help or change how she feels than she could will her head to spin in circles on her neck. She's looking for the chemical reaction she believes is love. It doesn't mean you aren't lovable, doesn't mean anything more than she didn't get a dopamine rush or when the chemicals balanced out, she thought that meant she didn't love you anymore.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to have to tell you why, but that's it. It's not that she didn't like the way you folded towels or that you watched too much football. Those are simple things couples can work out. The fact is, you weren't her "one".

I recommend you go out, live and love your life, become a huge success, keep learning, become fascinating. Start right now. Begin preparing for the day you run into her at the airport. It could be in two years, five, ten, but it'll happen. You need to make certain she realizes you're the one who got away from her. Hopefully, by then, you'll have on your arm a hot model with a penchant for humanitarian aid work and a degree in physics from Harvard who loves you just as you wish this foolish young woman would so you wouldn't even consider helping her leave her miserable marriage (which made her get fat from stuffing her face to fill the pain).

Make it a plan.

Everything you said, Autumn, is completely true. Thanks. I suppose, as the saying goes, I need my heart to catch up to my head. The fact that I still love her doesn't make it easy to just...let go. But I'm getting there. I'm getting closer everyday, I can feel it.

Archived