How long should you stick with something...

im rly mad

to determine if you like it or not?

Anything: an instrument or a martial art or a sport.

I tend to get really frustrated doing almost anything because I'm not really good at anything, and I give up easily. Since this has been going on since I was a little kid, I developed no skills or talents and pretty much just trained myself to get frustrated and give up on everything. Now I've stuck with an instrument for about 2 years, but I really haven't improved that much and I feel like I've just wasted a lot of time and money.

I want to find something that I actually enjoy doing, but I feel like depression and frustration automatically overtake any feeling of enjoyment I get out of doing any activity that normal people like to do.

So I'm confused. I read about people picking up something and hating it at first, but they stick with it for some reason and then end up liking it. How do you know you should keep on trying it?

In some cultures in the next generations job to progress if somehting is unfinished.

If its about the journey who cares how long it takes...focus on the process no matter where you are at.

You've learned somethings...just let the little pieces of everything come together to make something unique...you.

I think you're issue is giving up because you're "not good" That shouldn't be your reason for sticking with something or quitting. If you enjoy doing something , keep doing it even if you're bad. If you enjoy playing your instrument, does it erally matter how much better you've gotten? You've had fun along the way.

As far as how long should you stick with something to find out if you like it... it's one of those things I just know. Usually when I try something new I either immediately know I dislike it, immediately know I like it, or just kind of indifferent. If I know i dislike it right away, I quit then because I know no amount of trying will make me enjoy it. If I'm indifferent, I'll try it more to see if it grows on me.

You seem to give up when you've determined that you're "not good". But, the point of having hobbies is to enjoy yourself. Progressing in abilities over time is just the icing on what is enjoyable about skills.

It's rare for a person to be good at something on first try. I've learned 3 instruments now and will be soon picking up on a 4th. It gets easier each time I pick up a new instrument but I still have to start at square one.

I started playing the saxophone when I was 14 and had very humbling beginnings. However , I stuck with it and realized how replenishing the act of creating music and growing and deepening oneself in a craft can be , how spiritually rewarding it is. When most music students in my high school gave up playing music after high school and didn't take it seriously , I kept going and made it my life and spent lunches in the practice room when they were hanging. Went through 2 years of community college and kept playing music , kept practicing and playing and making new connections even while being part of a low-quality music department. After community college , I went to music school and made it through all 3 years and stayed with it even when some dropped out every year. I studied with one of the most intense instructors for one year when most stop studying with him after a semester , or less.

Now at 23 , playing music is such a part of my identity , certainly music in general. Sometimes , the moments when you feel like giving up are when you are about to break through! You don't feel like you're getting it or will attain a higher level of skill or what have you , but it is often around the corner.

No matter what you love doing , there will always be frustrations. However , the more you put into it , the more you get out of it. You have to ask what you want from it. What purpose does it serve you and others? Does it make you feel good? Does it nourish your well-being or hurt it?

It's reciprocated and it can take a long time for you to realize how much you cherish it. I've stuck with music for 9 years and it's only the beginning. It's a ripple effect as well. Basic things I practiced years ago have had a profound impact on how I play now. Small changes you make now influence you later on , and that's just in life.

With regards to the enjoyment thing, I am stuck in a world of comparing myself and measuring my progress against other people. I literally don't know how to tell if I am enjoying something or not

Try a really obscure hobby where you literally know no one else who does it. Pottery, putting together models, growing bansai trees....

Don't compare yourself to others. Only challenge yourself if you wish to improve.

Archived