I can't even turn around without getting nauseous.

Okay, that's a small exaggeration. But I have always suffered with motion sickness since I was a preteen, and it effects pretty much every mode of transport for me that isn't walking.

Boats are the worst. I have to take sickness pills and make myself fall asleep on a flat surface before the boat has even started moving for me to get through the journey without being violently ill and wishing I was dead.

Planes are a close second - fine when they're in the air, but coming down to land is again, something I have to make myself sleep through. I've done it several times and can now force myself to doze off within minutes.

Cars and buses - it depends who's driving. Sometimes I can take the bus home and feel just fine, but other days like today, I can spend the whole journey feeling hot and dizzy, and then have to lie down when I get home. I can never predict beforehand whether I'm going to have a good bus day or not.

My worst ever experience was on a boat to France, where I went to the bathroom, was very very sick and got my period at the same time, and was all alone in this tiny rocking metal room, crying my eyes out because I felt like I would literally rather die than live through another five minutes of feeling like my brain was spinning in my skull.

It's so bad that if my boyfriend picks me up to spin me round, I feel sick after one turn. Walking in a straight line is about the only kind of motion that doesn't make me feel ill. And it lasts a long time - I got off the bus today about four hours ago and I still feel a little dizzy.

I'm guessing it must be an inner ear problem? I don't know anyone who suffers as badly with this, and I'd be curious to hear from anyone who does and how they deal with it, or what treatment you can get. I know I could take a travel sickness pill every time I get on the bus, but then I'll build up a resistance to them if I take one every single day, and then they won't work at all.

I'd just like to be able to travel without having to accept that I'm going to need recovery time once the journey is over.

Do you eat before going on anything that moves.

For boats I learned one thing from a WWII navy guy: Eat as much as you can and you won't get sick. I know it sounds counter-productive however it works.

Are you getting enough salt in your diet? That seems to make nauseous when I don't get enough salt.

Do you eat before going on anything that moves.

For boats I learned one thing from a WWII navy guy: Eat as much as you can and you won't get sick. I know it sounds counter-productive however it works.

I don't know if it'll work for me - I've tried not eating anything, but I just gag and throw up bile, and I've tried eating a normal meal and I still got sick. You know what's a horrible smell? Digested eggs. I wish I didn't know that.

Are you getting enough salt in your diet? That seems to make nauseous when I don't get enough salt.

As far as I can tell, it's indiscriminate - I rarely travel without sickness and this has been since I was about 10-11, so I reckon it's not dietary.

Thanks for the suggestions though I might look at how much salt I've had on certain days, see if that makes any difference.

I'm highly prone to motion sickness, although probably not as much as you. I do well on airplanes as long as I'm facing forward. If I'm facing sideways, like I once was on a military airplane, I'll puke the whole trip. I also can't face sideways or backwards on trains and buses.

I'm not sure about boats because I never go on them.

I've had motion sickness problems since I was a kid and I'm convinced there's no cure. I've had wristbands, pills, herbs, and all kinds of suggested witchdoctory. The only thing that has ever really helped is Phenergan, but it has the side effect of drowsiness. I must admit, it works well for stopping the motion sickness, but it's just not practical most of the time... if I take a pill, I'm probably going to sleep all day.

Unfortunately, motion sickness is just something I've learned to live around.

I also can't face sideways or backwards on trains and buses.

Ditto on that. I have to face forwards as well. I ended up accidentally backwards on a train because I didn't realise it was changing directions at one point and it was horrible!

If I find some awesome cure, I'll let you know too

@honeypumpkin - I tried the wristbands once but I don't think they did much for me. I think I'd need something a bit more heavy duty, since I don't just get a bit sick, I get so ill that I'll throw up everything I've eaten in the last 24 hours and then have to lie down for several hours to get over it. It feels like my brain comes untethered while I'm that sick.

Ugh.... that is awful HouseKitten I'm lucky I don't get motion sick except for seasick... and it is a helpless feeling.. totally awful so I feel for you.

I know you said you don't like pills due to taking too much and a resistance. Does any natural type remedy help? Like ginger? It is supposed to calm the tummy.

Are you on any medications that may make it worse? Have you seen a doc to ask for ideas/causes?

P.S. I love that movie in your avatar

I've outgrown my motion sickness, but when I was younger, sparkling mineral water absolutely did the trick for me. It's just the right amount of carbonation - not too much like soda - and it does have several kinds of salts in it (which goes along with what someone said in an earlier post). I just sipped on it throughout the trip and was just fine!

The funny thing is, even though I can now comfortably fly through all kinds of turbulence and deal with all kinds of drivers, I still can't spin around my own axis more than once without getting dizzy. Guess I won't be dancing the waltz anytime soon!

I have problems with feeling nauseated and dizzy at times and the most amazing remedy I have found, which I did not expect at all, is the acupuncture wrist bands called SeaBands.

A friend of mine loaned me a pair and I wore them for a few hours. The next day I didn't feel nauseated or dizzy at all. I would have never expected it to work.

I've used them for 6 months now and they still work wonderfully.

My friend who loaned me them has severe motion sickness. She could not go on long car rides, boat rides, etc. Once she started wearing these in the car, she said she actually went on a trip on a winding road and she could read a book in the backseat without any problems.

You can buy them for under $10 at most drug stores.

Archived