Mature-Aged students

Hi all,

I was wondering if there were any mature aged university students here, as i would like to know their feelings on the matter.

I'm at a career crossroads in my life right now, and recently my last job was cancelled, and now with a part time job that only works 1 shift every 2 weeks or so, lately i've had a lot of spare time.

So for a while i've been thinking about going back to studies, complete a Degree which i never finished, as i had been offered a lot of jobs in my then-dream industry as soon as i got my Diploma.

I've achieved some personal life goals whilst been away from education, and thus these goals have changed, altered, or grown. It seems now i need further education on order to achieve these new life goals i've set.

I'm turning 29 at the end of the year, and i feel a little strange to be heading back to school at that age, especially sharing classes with people that will be 10 years younger than i.

Should i be feeling a little hesitant about this? Is there a reason or is it just anxiety?

around here a lot of older people take classes. they get treated just like everyone else. older people tend to take night classes and there are a lot of them. our school is nothing like the movies. it's probably full of young people in the morning but i had always taken night classes. people in the military usually study here too. they're old as well and we respect them.

Nah, its just anxiety. I finished my Associates Degree at 29 and now at 30 I have enrolled in university to get my Bachelor's. If you are really hesitant, take evening courses. Generally those have older students, because they are working during the day, and those students are generally more motivated. You also have the added bonus of hearing fewer complaints - in general- and I find the discussions are usually better.

I am generalizing here. I have met a lot of great younger students. I especially loved the ones who thought I was 22 or 23, lol. I found though on the whole that younger students were generally less focused and less discussion oriented, so I preferred the evening courses.

Btw when you said mature student I thought you meant 45 or 50. I would not consider 28-30 a "mature student". I worked and attended a community college that had many students over 40. I would look at you as a "returning student".

Should i be feeling a little hesitant about this? Is there a reason or is it just anxiety?

First, congrats on making the plunge to follow-up on your degree.

Pre-university jitters, I think, hit most people. Onewithbooks made a great suggestion to take night courses. And who knows, you might have students thinking you're younger than you really are - which has got to be great for morale.

With the "e" word the way it is (economy, that is), you might find a lot more people in your same situation there. People retrain, start new life paths much more frequently now than they used to, all which involve going to university.

I'm headed back to pick up a Masters in the fall, and really looking forward to it. It's a great experience at any age.

You shouldn't feel weird for going to college at your age. Better to be following your dream later on in life, than not doing anything at all.

I'm approaching 28, and I'm just now finishing up my freshman year of college. It's a three/four year degree, and then if I plan to, I can follow up with an advanced degree. It depends on whether I can get a job with what I have after I graduate.

I admit that it feels a little weird to be around college students that are so much younger than myself. On the other hand, there are plenty of people in my same situation; I've met a couple.

And there is no set age limit for college. There's one dude I keep on seeing around; he's in his 60's, and he's carrying a bookbag on his back and going to classes. Obviously, if HE can do it, I can (and you can) do it.

Go for it!

I went back to school and got my BA while in my 30's. Then a few kids later I got my MS at age 43!

The school I went to has many older students, so I fit right in. So you might want to find an urban university that has a similar mix of student ages...

You might also try some online programs, but research carefully to make sure it is a quality program that is respected in the field.

My sister went to Brown University alongside many younger students (she was almost 40) and she got a kick out of being with the younger students. And most of them treated her great!

You will find that going back after a few life experience years gives you a depth and wisdom that can help with learning. And you may still be young enough to pull those all nighters, lol...

Hi all,

I'm turning 29 at the end of the year, and i feel a little strange to be heading back to school at that age, especially sharing classes with people that will be 10 years younger than i.

Nope, try taking night classes, you would be surprised.

Most night students are about your age or even older.

I just fininished taking night classes at a community college, and I would say the average age of my classmates is around 35. I met someone who is 50 and another who is 40, and they are still going to school.

Don't worry about your age, worry more about your career.

Good luck!

def go for it..alot of people i work for have been going back because they have been with the companies so long and they get laid off and have nothing to do..so they go back to school..i dont think 29 is bad at all...my dad is 54 and is about to get his masters..lol some of the girls in his class come up to him and ask if he has a son named so and so(ME)...lol..so alot of people are going back...

Thanks all for the answers! Everyone here is so supportive of it, I haven't had any positive experiences all year, so its kind of strange to me!

Although i'm almost 30, i pass as a 22-25 yr old all the time, and get carded constantly when i'm out, so i don't think i'll have trouble fitting in.

I guess the differences will be the mind sets. I've traveled the world and lived in numerous countries. Some of those kids probably still haven't left home!

I've just sent off a resume to a company that's a major player in the industry i'm currently working in. I'm hoping to get the job, but at the same time, i don't want it to throw a spanner into the current plans of going back to school. Its long hours when i am employed (10-12 hrs) so it jeopardizes night classes (they usually start at 6pm here).

Dont let it deter you. Even if you get the job, take a class online. I find that they are a bit harder if you arent disciplined, but it will be a good experience.

I hope you get this job and it works for you, but if it doesnt work out, then you wont be at ground zero in terms of earning your next degree. You will already be in the 'swing of things' so to speak.

Didn't read the advice given but I'm by far a mature age student and well I've been anxious about it and hated it but then again the students treat me fine for the most part. Not sure what they say behind my back but in my face their kind. I have had my issues with them expecting me to do most of the work on group projects But I delegated and alleviated that problem. Otherwise it's really been okay, I do wish I would have returned in my twenties but I'm doing alright in my 30's on campus. No time like the present

I've attended both college and university, and both times there were a variety of different age groups. I'd agree that night-classes tend to have more students who are a bit older and have been working in the field, or a different field. Even in day classes there are a mix of ages. As for you being 29, I would not consider this an older student. The majority of people in my classes are late 20s.

I saw that internet/distance classes were suggested, saying that they require less discipline. And I would argue this. I'm taking an internet course right now, and it requires me to put in alot more time and effort than an in-class would take from me. However, course difficulty always varies on subject material. Don't assume internet is easier though.

I've attended both college and university, and both times there were a variety of different age groups. I'd agree that night-classes tend to have more students who are a bit older and have been working in the field, or a different field. Even in day classes there are a mix of ages. As for you being 29, I would not consider this an older student. The majority of people in my classes are late 20s.

I saw that internet/distance classes were suggested, saying that they require less discipline. And I would argue this. I'm taking an internet course right now, and it requires me to put in alot more time and effort than an in-class would take from me. However, course difficulty always varies on subject material. Don't assume internet is easier though.

That was me, and actually I said that they are a bit harder if you aren't disciplined. I am with you, that they do take more time and effort. I had one over a summer and it was more difficult to juggle not online for the amount of work, but also because the summer semester is so much shorter.

That was me, and actually I said that they are a bit harder if you aren't disciplined. I am with you, that they do take more time and effort. I had one over a summer and it was more difficult to juggle not online for the amount of work, but also because the summer semester is so much shorter.

Sorry for misreading it!

Archived