i need contacts that won't dry out my eyes!

I'm on my last pair of contacts right now before I need to order some new ones...I'm wearing Acuvue 2's and they're HORRIBLE. They dry out my eyes and my vision is blurred most of the time they're in. I bought them originally because of their lower price, and while I still can't get super-expensive contacts, I really need some that will last the whole day without my eyes being bloodshot and hurting an hour after I put them in.

So, contact-wearers: any recommendations?

my eye doctor told me I don't blink properly, like it's not a full blink because I was having a very hard time with dry contacts as well. She gave me drops called Blink and new contacts and she told me to focus on blinking fully.. which is difficult, lol

but maybe try it and get some eye drops. or go for an appointment. a new kind of contacts really helped me out.

I'm not sure what brand mine are, but I can let you know when I find out if you want. I think they are about 200 Canadian for 6 months.. without coverage.

I've been wearing contacts since 1988. Eye doc switched me to Accuvues 2 years ago.

They were horrible. Brand new out of the package, I'd have to soak them in saline solution for at least 24 hours or else they made my eyes burn & itch. And the dryness you describe? That was the first time in 20 years of lens-wearing I *ever* experienced that. I hated them the entire year I was in them.

Read the riot act to my eye doc at my next check-up....and all she could do was go on and on about "how much better" the Accuvues were for my eyes. I refused to buy anymore of them and insisted on something else.

I'm in Pro-Clear lenses now with no problems whatsoever. Prior to the accuvues I was in another Cooper Vision line of lenses for several years and, again, no problems. I'm not straying from that manufacturer again.

I tried Acuvue when I first got contacts in the 90's and they dried out my eyes and made them pink and so on.

At the time, my doctor said they didn't carry any other brand so I went to a new eye doctor and now I wear Frequency 55 and they work great. Then I went back for a check up last year because the old doc retired and the new one put me in trial Acuvue (I had told him they dont work well with my eyes but he didn't believe me) and they did the same thing. The doc was amazed that they would cause such problems because they are a great brand. Yeah, so I went back to Frequency 55.

There are many different brands of contacts just ask your doctor. They usually have two week trial pairs. Reputable doctors use those. And they can order them. You can also look up the many different brands at link removed as well... I dont know if I can post that link though.

Good luck

I'm afraid I had to give up wearing them cos of this. Apparently cos I don't 'tear' enough, my eyes produce mucus instead and that gunks it all up - so either they dried out or I had cloudy lenses...

However that was a long time ago and I believe there are lenses specifically for that problem now but - they will cost more.

I've been wearing contacts for 12 years and the brands I've had in the past were fine, it's just that they're 60 bucks a box compared to the 18 I'm spending on the Acuvues. I know it's not caused by wearing them too long...the dryness starts about 30 minutes after inserting them, and even when I've taken a several-day break to wear my glasses, as soon as the Acuvues are in my eyes are having issues.

shes2smart and FoundYet?, I'm gonna look into those lenses...thanks for the suggestions! I don't want to go to a doctor, I'll only go when my prescription needs renewed because they're always focused on pushing either the product they sell at their office or the most expensive product that's out there. Not quite looking out for MY needs.

I'm afraid I had to give up wearing them cos of this. Apparently cos I don't 'tear' enough, my eyes produce mucus instead and that gunks it all up - so either they dried out or I had cloudy lenses...

However that was a long time ago and I believe there are lenses specifically for that problem now but - they will cost more.

Yes, I gave up wearing contact lenses 20 years ago because I do not make enough natural tearing myself too. My contacts would get so dry they would almost pop out ect.....I could only wear them max for 6 hours and I wanted to pull my own eyeballs out and put them in a glass of water...I think I'll stick with glasses.

Archived