pregnancy and ITP...how bad is it???

EEjustYOmeRE

anyone here a doctor? specifically hematology or of course, prenatal?

i've had ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia papura) for about 2 years now and i've gone through about 4 different treatments and they're saying the only one left to try is the spleenectomy. and they're are pretty much saying that i really need to get the surgery because i can't go through a pregnancy with my low platelets.

but the thing is, they aren't even sure if it's really the spleen that's causing my ITP nor is there any real proof. the ultrasound conducted showed no enlargement of my spleen.

so i'd like to know, is getting the surgery really unavoidable when i plan to get pregnant?

and what if i were to get get pregnant unexpectedly and the surgery hasn't been done...is it really that possible that myself or the baby won't make it through??

these questions have really been nagging at me. please help?

These are really questions you should be discussing with your hematologist. Why not write them down and discuss them at your next appt, or make an appt to discuss them specifically?

Are you in remission at this point, or is your body still gobbling up your platelets?

My sister has ITP also- we went through the wringer for over 5 years until she got chemotherapy (Rituxin) and it put her in remission for almost 5 years, and when she relapsed she got another round and has been in remission for over 2 years, and she still has her spleen.

What treatments have you had? Just transfusions and long term prednisone tapers?

well my hemotologist IS trying to convince me to do the surgery because she says that i 'can't go through a pregnany' with my low platelet levels.

so far, they've had me on IV meds (rituxin, winRho, and something else) i've also gone through prednisone. but none of them worked. my doctors strongly suggest low-dose chemo only if the surgery doesn't work.

so since the beginning of the year, i haven't done any treatments or any medications anymore. my platelets are still low but i'm not showing any symptoms.

well my hemotologist IS trying to convince me to do the surgery because she says that i 'can't go through a pregnany' with my low platelet levels.

so far, they've had me on IV meds (rituxin, winRho, and something else) i've also gone through prednisone. but none of them worked. my doctors strongly suggest low-dose chemo only if the surgery doesn't work.

so since the beginning of the year, i haven't done any treatments or any medications anymore. my platelets are still low but i'm not showing any symptoms.

Splenectomy was the last resort for my sister too.

Rituxin is chemotherapy, so you've already done that?

I'm sure your doctor has explained to you the risks and benefits of the surgery- are you afraid to have it done?

I'm not sure what you are really asking here.

yup, done the rituxin, so all thats left for me to try is the surgery. and as much as possible, i don't want to have my spleen taken out.

so what i'm really wodnering is if it's really as necessary as my doctor says to have it removed before i get go through a pregnancy.

now if they said there was an enlargement in my spleen, and that IS what's causing the ITP...then fine. but i guess i'm very resistant to the surgery because they couldn't find anything wrong with my spleen.

Archived