So, I'm using Craigslist + POF.

Panther_Dude

I've been using POF for about 3 weeks and having no luck. So, I posted a ad around Midnight, 1 am this morning on craiglist. I've gotten quite a few e-mails. But are these replies from real women?

Some just want to talk on A.I.M. or some other IM/E-mail. Fishy to me. Two others posted a actual reply with a pic each. I've replyed back to only one woman so far. But some of the other e-mails just either have a pic or a reply that looks copy/pasted onto it.

becareful man it could be a set up or a sting. Hate to see a panther behind bars when you should be roaming freely.

I clearly state how old I am in the ad. Posted a pic. Outdated by a bit, as I have longer hair now though. I said the following. Under m4w (casual encounters)...

I'm gonna be honest. I'm 22 years old and a virgin. Never been with a woman. Never kissed. Just looking for a one-night stand. When replying to this put the title as 'Hey, I saw ad on Craiglist.' I'll know you are real if you do so.

Although most e-mails have had the title as Looking for some fun. Which is the title of da ad btw.

BTW, I have no car and only a permit. So, since I live at home while going to community college (jobless) would it be alright if I do get lucky, to meet the woman at the theater? Rather not have my parents know about this.

I used POF last year and met a few women and had a few dates. Two of whom I'm still friends with (I dated one for a while). I tried CL and also met two real women, but wasn't interested in them after meeting... I also got a lot of spam from the CL ad - I think people that run random web sites span CL ads to try and get you to join their websites. I think CL has a much higher ratio of fake posters - as others have pointed out.

In the end I decided online dating wasn't for me. I look a lot younger than I really am and have better luck meeting women that I'm attracted to in person - rather than online. Try sports or meetup or clubs or bars if you like that.

I used POF last year and met a few women and had a few dates. Two of whom I'm still friends with (I dated one for a while). I tried CL and also met two real women, but wasn't interested in them after meeting... I also got a lot of spam from the CL ad - I think people that run random web sites span CL ads to try and get you to join their websites. I think CL has a much higher ratio of fake posters - as others have pointed out.

In the end I decided online dating wasn't for me. I look a lot younger than I really am and have better luck meeting women that I'm attracted to in person - rather than online. Try sports or meetup or clubs or bars if you like that.

Well, nice to know someone has had some success (dates) via POF and/or CL.

Craigslist should be renamed to spamslist.

As far as POF goes I wouldn't expect much success on that site either.

If your looking to hookup the Bar, Club is your best bet. Now if your serious about the Online thingy use link removed. Pay the 30 dollars or so and go from there.

As someone who found success through Craigslist, I'll offer some suggestions.

1: Include an instruction in your ad to screen out the bots. Usually people say "If you're real, put your favorite color in the subject line" or something along those lines. It also shows that they've read your ad.

2: Yeah, you get a lot of spam. You learn to recognize it. Like if their reply is empty and generic with no mention of what you put in your ad, and if there's a hyperlink to a shady personals site.

3: Don't just say "I'm so many years old, I work in this, and I like going to concerts, watching sports, and spending time with family." That's generic. Say something like "I used to be a fan of [such-and-such] team until they traded this player" or "I like bands like these, but I also like bands like those" or "I like authors and books like these" and so on. Don't give out too much; just enough to imply what kind of interests you have and that makes your ad less generic.

4: Sometimes a catchy ad title helps. "Looking for my partner in crime" or "Nice guy seeks nice girl" don't really grab attention like, say, "Son of Zeus seeks daughter of Athena to rule all of Greece" or "Vampire hunter seeks ranger to hunt undead". Or, anything that reflects your sense of humor.

5: Finally, I'll give the gist of the ad I posted that led to the loss of my virginity. I posted it in the dating section and I basically said, "I'm 25 and, for whatever reason, I never had the opportunity to sleep with a woman. I have interests and goals in life (and I specified to some degree), I like to cook, and I have such-and-such geeky interests. More than anything, I feel at my age, I should know what I'm doing with a woman and become familiar with this whole having-sex thing. I really don't want to beg for it, but I also don't want to pay for it, and so far, it seems like I'll have to pay."

Craigslist more or less requires you to use your own screening process, so there's a sort of knack to it. But it's not that hard of a knack; certainly, less so than meeting a woman and convincing her to fall for you.

Craigslist should be renamed to spamslist.

As far as POF goes I wouldn't expect much success on that site either.

If your looking to hookup the Bar, Club is your best bet. Now if your serious about the Online thingy use link removed. Pay the 30 dollars or so and go from there.

When I drink I let emotions get in the way. So I barely drink. I do like wine though. But barely drink. I used Adultfriendfinder for maybe 7 minutes. Google said you didn't have to pay when I google it and then I had to pay. No, sir. Cancelled that account.

As someone who found success through Craigslist, I'll offer some suggestions.

1: Include an instruction in your ad to screen out the bots. Usually people say "If you're real, put your favorite color in the subject line" or something along those lines. It also shows that they've read your ad.

2: Yeah, you get a lot of spam. You learn to recognize it. Like if their reply is empty and generic with no mention of what you put in your ad, and if there's a hyperlink to a shady personals site.

3: Don't just say "I'm so many years old, I work in this, and I like going to concerts, watching sports, and spending time with family." That's generic. Say something like "I used to be a fan of [such-and-such] team until they traded this player" or "I like bands like these, but I also like bands like those" or "I like authors and books like these" and so on. Don't give out too much; just enough to imply what kind of interests you have and that makes your ad less generic.

4: Sometimes a catchy ad title helps. "Looking for my partner in crime" or "Nice guy seeks nice girl" don't really grab attention like, say, "Son of Zeus seeks daughter of Athena to rule all of Greece" or "Vampire hunter seeks ranger to hunt undead". Or, anything that reflects your sense of humor.

5: Finally, I'll give the gist of the ad I posted that led to the loss of my virginity. I posted it in the dating section and I basically said, "I'm 25 and, for whatever reason, I never had the opportunity to sleep with a woman. I have interests and goals in life (and I specified to some degree), I like to cook, and I have such-and-such geeky interests. More than anything, I feel at my age, I should know what I'm doing with a woman and become familiar with this whole having-sex thing. I really don't want to beg for it, but I also don't want to pay for it, and so far, it seems like I'll have to pay."

Craigslist more or less requires you to use your own screening process, so there's a sort of knack to it. But it's not that hard of a knack; certainly, less so than meeting a woman and convincing her to fall for you.

1. I did include a instruction, and all replies seem to ignore it. I honestly think only two or three women read the ad. One of them I've contacted. One of the others...ummm...she posted a pic after her e-mail...she seems real BUT...in the pic there was a black bar covering her eyes and she had a see through top on...and no bra. Which I didn't mind, but...

Where do you post your ad? LTR? Casual Encounters?

You're more likely to get human responses from the dating and LTR section. And sometimes there's a LOT of lonely guys posting ads that push yours to the bottom of the page, but sometimes women dig through the second and third pages looking for decent ads.

Finally, it's free. So you get some spam. Big deal. You mark the e-mails as spam and wait for more replies until you feel your ad faded off into archives.

Where do you post your ad? LTR? Casual Encounters?

You're more likely to get human responses from the dating and LTR section. And sometimes there's a LOT of lonely guys posting ads that push yours to the bottom of the page, but sometimes women dig through the second and third pages looking for decent ads.

Finally, it's free. So you get some spam. Big deal. You mark the e-mails as spam and wait for more replies until you feel your ad faded off into archives.

I dunno. The site confused me when I posted it. I think it said m4w (casual encounters). Serioslly...that site could use a redesign.

Try again under ltr. If you're confused, browse each section and see what kind of ads you find.

You can tell spam bots infest the "casual encounters" area because most of the ads are flagged and removed.

Really, the only thing you have to lose is the moderate amount of calories used for energy to type up the ad, and then the bandwidth for posting it and receiving e-mails.

Try again under ltr. If you're confused, browse each section and see what kind of ads you find.

You can tell spam bots infest the "casual encounters" area because most of the ads are flagged and removed.

Really, the only thing you have to lose is the moderate amount of calories used for energy to type up the ad, and then the bandwidth for posting it and receiving e-mails.

Well, this woman replyed to the e-mail I sent her.

She wrote back saying how she wants to talk on the phone first if that's fine. She also sent another pic. Again, she seems real enough...except for a 'property of Skytravelle' at the top of the pic.

I replyed back anyway giving her my cell. I have a tracfone that sucks (sometimes I can't call out).

Good move Organs?

Well, it can't hurt, I guess. If she's a bot, then just keep waiting for a more human reply.

I could have said 'Ok, I'm jobless, full-time student at community college, live at home, no car, only a permit. Can we still work something out here?

And see what her reply be

I also like to note....she has at least two e-mail addresses. And she's...if she is real...38 and divorced. My thoughts?

P-A-R-T-Y F-O-R- M-E.

If you really want to go through with this Panther I say go for it! I know it wouldn't be the right decision for me. But if you are comfortable with your decision there isn't much to loose. Just have some fun.

But for goodness sake be careful! There are a lot of weirdos out there. Keep your guard up, and protect yourself. Most of all wear a condom! You don't want your first time to cause some permanent damage for the future.

Let us know how it goes.

A series of e-mails, some kind of live chat, and maybe a phone call are all good ways to tell the fakes from the real ones. If she's willing to have a conversation through e-mail, then chances are she's a legitimate reply. It's also a good way to increase your interest in her and vice versa, so that the two of you want to meet all the more.

Well, this woman is a...*sunglasses*...scammer. She wants me to verify my idenity with some site that requires a credit card. And she will pay for it. I replyed back saying 'Credit Card? Ugh, sounds like a scam.' I'm a gonna take Organs advice and make a new ad in the dating section there now...or later on.

There ya go. Yeah, you'll learn to recognize the spammers. Hilariously, some reply to your ad multiple times with the same image and e-mail message, but with different e-mail addresses.

As long as you don't use your credit card for anything, you'll be fine.

Archived