Is there a point in getting a girl's phone number at a nightclub...

kevin715

...if it's very likely that we won't see each other again?

Sorry if this isn't in the right section but I don't know where else it could go. But here's the deal. A few days ago, I go to a nightclub in Morgantown, WV and somehow I wind up dancing with some chick for a while. Note that Morgantown is a college town, so there is a lot of alcohol involved. So after talking to each other while dancing (which included where we were coming from: I going to school in Pennsylvania and she going to school in Ohio), she wants my number for some reason (and we exchange them).

But I'm sure that because neither of us go to WVU, we both know that we're not likely going to see each other again. I'm sure this happens lots of times, but what really is the point of getting someone's phone number in a setting like a nightclub? And for the record, I'm 20 years old and not very experienced with dealings with the opposite sex, so please excuse any naïvete you may be sensing from me.

The universe works in mysterious ways.

Text her, communicate with her now and again randomly and you never know, somewhere down the track you might meet and if you both enjoyed your once a month, 6 monthly call, it may lead to something bigger.

Never turn down an opportunity that might work it's way back into your life at a later time.

The hidden message in exchanging numbers in clubs: Hey, you were a lot of fun tonight and to show my appreciation, here's my so-called number to give you a ego boost in front of all your friends. I'll probably be too hung over tomorrow morning to remember who you are.

What is the harm in getting the girls number?

a) you stay in touch - things work out as friends or something more

b) you don't stay in touch because of distance - nothing gained nothing lost

Looks like chances are its a win or no-lose situation to me. Unless I am missing something. For example, option a) COULD lead to an LDR/relationship and a hard break up - but then you would have to treat every romantic situation as such and never enter into one.

Thanks for the responses. It's been a few days since that night, and I had just decided to send her a simple "hey" message, and basically, what I suspected was going to happen, happened. She of course gave me the typical "who is this" reaction, and when I told her, that was it. No response. So basically what angela said appeared to be true for this case: that she just gave me her phone number while drunk for no other reason than as a "badge of honor" for dancing with her. But hey, it's not like I lost anything by trying.

So we go back to the original issue. I just don't get the point of exchanging numbers if there's no chance of meaningful communication after the fact, especially in a setting where almost everyone's judgment is impaired. I don't know, I guess that's just how bass-ackwards stuff is.

Archived