Ever use poetry to woo a member of the opposite sex?

Cheeky Charmer

The reason I ask is that I was looking through my old photos the other day and found a photo of me with an ex girlfriend from when I was 18. I remembered how shy and inexperienced I was then and I realised that I wooed this girl with a love poem.

I was too scared to tell her directly how I felt so I e-mailed her a poem, straight from the heart. Some people might have said it was cheesy and corny but it did the trick.

Just wondering if anyone's had similar experience.

My high school boyfriend used to steal my lunchbag to get my attention. He wrote me a poem during one of our classes and slipped it to me. The poem itself was corny, but the sentiment was what stood out for me. By nature I wasn't one for those kinds of "mushy, romantic displays of affection". But, in my current relationship I have found myself wanting to and actually putting pen to paper in order to express myself. I still think they are corny, but my boyfriend likes them.

When I was a sophomore in college at Arizona State, there was a cute guy who lived in the dorm room directly upstairs from mine... our balconies faced west so we when we watched the big, desert sunsets, we struck up a conversation. One thing led to another and soon he was reading poetry and Shakespeare from over the balcony. I was an English major so he scored major brownie points with me when he did that, and he ended up being my b/f for awhile.

Many years later, another b/f used to read passionate John Donne poetry to me in bed. He was a radio news reporter and oh, that voice.... he turned out to be a womanizer and a cheat, but I still like to remember the poetry in bed. I thought it was something fun and different.

Archived