Unofficial therapy dogs

Dako

I ended up adopting a former therapy dog. When visiting Mom at the Wrinkly Home on Sundays we usually end up visiting other inmates. Once the staff got to know my dog, he's become quite welcome despite his lack of credentials. It's a hoot to see how even the saddest folks light up and smile. It can be quite touching.

If you have a super-gentle pet, you might try it.

Just a thought.

I know this is a great idea and all, but you should really go the proper route and get a pass.

I have owned 4 therapy dogs over the years, two British Bulldogs, a Dobermann and a Great Dane.

For one thing, a therapy dog is regularly called upon to perform a number of specific tasks for which more specialized training is necessary. Therapy dogs are usually intended to provide a number of assistance services to disabled people. This makes them ideally suited to settings and situations such as hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and other similar establishments.

It's not simply: "Here's my nice doggy, pat it"

In addition, a therapy dog will also need to pass through a number of tests that will qualify it for certain credentials. This will allow it to perform tasks for which it is intended. A therapy dog for instance will need to pass a Canine Good Citizen Certificate Test or CGC, as well as various other tests required specifically for therapy dogs.

Be gentle in your training and reinforcement. The basic commands that you typically teach any dog would have to be taught to your therapy dog as well, including commands such as "come", "sit", and "stay", in addition to many others. Furthermore, you will want to train your dog in proper manners and obedience, as well as teach it proper hygiene habits and to eliminate on command.

Therapy dogs will need to be accustomed to strangers approaching and talking to you, as well as rough handling. Therapy dogs should not automatically go into the role of bodyguard whenever someone approaches you, or interacts with you physically in any manner.

Get your dog used to public places with a lot of people around. Places where there is a lot of noise and potential confusion is a good training ground for therapy dogs, and this will help prepare him or her for a wide range of different situations in which he or she is expected to remain calm and composed.

Discourage your dog from behavior that is not acceptable under any circumstances. This would include jumping, barking, sniffing, licking and over friendly behavior. And of course growling is a definite no-no.

Just as your therapy dog should be used to being around a lot of people, he or she should learn to interact properly with other dogs as well. In situations wherein you come accross another dog owner, you will preferably want your therapy dog to maintain composure and simply show casual interest at most.

As you can see, training a therapy dog is quite a bit different from training a dog for casual purposes. Nevertheless, the extra effort that you will put in will definitely pay off in a companion that you can trust for the long-term.

I just started with a program called Pets Helping People. It is along the same lines, my dog just had to pass some basic tests but wasn't specially trained or anything. I haven't been to a placement with him yet, but I can't wait! Animals just bring out the best in some people, I feel like they have a special way of touching a persons soul.

Archived