Feeling really down, need some encouragement

cbh1979

I don't know where to start, but I'm feeling lousy. It seems like I'm just utterly alone. I don't have many friends, and those that I do have I don't talk to all that much. I wonder if I'm worth anything to anyone, as it just seems like nobody would notice if I just disappeared. I don't feel appreciated at all. I go on Facebook and see my FB friends having conversations, wishing each other Happy New Year and inviting this person and that person to the movies, to lunch, and I wish I had those kinds of friendships. I've been feeling increasingly worse- I get upset easily now, and I don't have much interest in anything anymore. Plus, a girl I liked has a date with someone else on Saturday night. Ugh.

I know this sounds pathetic, and it probably is. But, I could really use some advice as to how to break out of this funk. How do I not feel so utterly alone?

I don't know. I'm not an outgoing person so I don't meet many people. When I do make friends it means a lot to me, but it just seems like they're all on the periphery, you know? I'm the one that initiates contact 99% of the time, and it just doesn't seem like I'm important to them at all.

It seems like everyone has one, or two, or several people they keep in touch with a great deal. Someone they call periodically to talk with or ask how things are, hang out with, and so forth. They have people they can turn to when they need something. I don't have any of that. I have no one calling me up and asking how things are, even when we haven't been in touch in awhile. No emails or whatever just to shoot the breeze. I have this one friend whom I used to talk with frequently, but she just stopped corresponding as much and only wrote when she wanted to know something about our old boss.

Its embarrassing and hurtful to write and keep up the correspondence and not have it reciprocated. I just think they don't care and wouldn't notice if I disappeared. I want to be important and be meaningful to people, but I just don't feel that I am.

Do you know what triggered off these feelings of despair, as it would help.

I don't really know if there is a trigger. Its just when you don't have many friends you tend to value the one's you have a great deal...but, when that value isn't reciprocated it makes you feel lousy, because then you tend to think its something about you. I had a "friend" on Facebook ignore two separate messages I sent offering support to a food drive she solicited support for. She continued to update her status and everything, so I know she was on there...but she just didn't think I was important enough to respond to. That just made me feel like garbage. I'd never ignore someone like that, especially about a good cause I'm pushing, but she never once replied. And that's just one example.

I'm somewhat feeling the same tonight... I've always kind of been like this... I'm used to being alone. I've always been acquaintances of many people... many people seem to like me, I just don't have many close friends that I actually do stuff with or talk to... And, really, I don't put forth the effort. A lot of the friends I've had in the past did all of the initiating and I went with it. I guess I'm just content on being alone sometimes...

Doesn't help that my girlfriend of 4 years recently broke up with me who was my best friend... I feel like I lost some friends while with her because we were so serious and always doing stuff together... I'm sure I could still reach out to them, but it's been a while. I don't really have any real friends anymore. So you're not alone here. I can relate to everything you're saying. I've had people who seem to ignore things or flake out sometimes, like they don't care.

Don't feel like they wouldn't notice if you disappeared. I've thought the same. Try and get back into the things you were interested in or maybe put yourself out there some, even if it makes you uncomfortable... I'm not the most social person in the world either... It's what I'm trying to do right now and I feel good about myself. I'm using the start of a new year as a new start for myself. The better attitude you have towards yourself and life, the more people will like being around you. This is my plan.

Do you know what triggered off these feelings of despair, as it would help.

Your not alone as there are people here who will want to help you and I am one of them who cares.

If you need to talk please don't hesitate to reach out.

Christina x

Tina said it the best.....please PM me if you feel really bad.

Life sucks at times, and the Holidays are VERY hard.

This too shall pass......

Allie

There are lots of people we will meet in life who we feel a good connection to, and yet they just don't seem to respond. This says nothing about your personality or character, just simply the way they are. Not malicious even just without thought to how it may make you feel.

It was a wonderful gesture for you trying to help her which shows the kindness of your nature.

Please don't feel you are alone as you have people here on ENA who want to help including myself and Allie.

PM anytime

Christina

I don't really know if there is a trigger. Its just when you don't have many friends you tend to value the one's you have a great deal...but, when that value isn't reciprocated it makes you feel lousy, because then you tend to think its something about you. I had a "friend" on Facebook ignore two separate messages I sent offering support to a food drive she solicited support for. She continued to update her status and everything, so I know she was on there...but she just didn't think I was important enough to respond to. That just made me feel like garbage. I'd never ignore someone like that, especially about a good cause I'm pushing, but she never once replied. And that's just one example.
There are lots of people we will meet in life who we feel a good connection to, and yet they just don't seem to respond. This says nothing about your personality or character, just simply the way they are. Not malicious even just without thought to how it may make you feel.

It was a wonderful gesture for you trying to help her which shows the kindness of your nature.

Please don't feel you are alone as you have people here on ENA who want to help including myself and Allie.

PM anytime

Christina

Christina said it best...PM either one of us at anytime. We're always here.

It's always darkest before the dawn......remember that.

Archived