Missing work?

June_Bug

So it's my third week at a new job and I've had to miss yesterday and now today because my son is sick. I know there is absolutely nothin I can do, however I am seriously freaking out because the job is so new and I've now missed two days in a row.

Am I right to be concerned? Am I freaking out for nothing? I mean, it is what it is. His fever has been up and down, hovering around 102. I can't leave him and he certainly cannot go to school. There is no one else available to take him. His dad is out of the picture, his grandparents have passed, and everyone else has to work.

Though I know I cannot change the situation, I'm practically having a panic attack over here, worried about losing my job.

Not much you can do about it. It really depends on how understanding your boss is. Your priorities are in the right place so you'll have to hope for the best.

If your boss is approachable you might go in and talk to them when you get back to work.

Not much you can do about it. It really depends on how understanding your boss is. Your priorities are in the right place so you'll have to hope for the best.

If your boss is approachable you might go in and talk to them when you get back to work.

She seems nice, but I don't really know her yet. When I left a message for her this morning, I told her I would contact her late this afternoon to give her an update. I don't know what else to do.

That's really all you can do. Give her the straight story. If your son has been to the doctor you might bring in a doctors note to prove your story. Be open and honest with her and apologize for missing work. Hopefully she's reasonable and understands that these things happen.

Do you know if your boss is a mother? If so they are usually more understanding of why you have to miss work. Most of the bosses I've had were understanding of why a mom had to miss work to take care of her child especially if the father was not in the picture.

Also did you call into work stating the reason that you missed it? If you did that will be in your favor.

Well, I did just call my boss a few minutes ago and left her a message. She called me right back and was super sweet! She even told me she was a single mom for a few years when he son was small so she got it. I did offer to work over the weekend if she needed me to, but she declined, saying the time would come for that soon enough.

Whew! I feel so relieved.

Archived