I am 26 he is 20 is it worth giving it a try?

greeneyes1983

I am just met someone he 6 years younger, so far I haven’t noticed the age difference at all, he seems mature, we get on very well, he treats me great, better than a lot of men my age, he has everything going for him except his age, if he was even a couple of years older I wouldn’t be so bother, however, in the back of my mind I am worried I am wasting time on someone young when I should be looking for a potential possible husband and someone to settle down with and start a fmaily. Do I risk getting involved and two years down the line being single again, or end it now before it really starts and continue being single and back to looking for the one? Wonder if anyone has any advice? Been in a similar situation

In terms of maturity I don't see there being a substantial difference between 20 and 26 year-olds. Maybe a few extra years of work experience post-college, but that's about it.

It's possible he's not in the market for a long term relationship, but the same could be said of a 26 year-old guy you were dating.

I am just met someone he 6 years younger, so far I haven’t noticed the age difference at all, he seems mature, we get on very well, he treats me great, better than a lot of men my age, he has everything going for him except his age, if he was even a couple of years older I wouldn’t be so bother, however, in the back of my mind I am worried I am wasting time on someone young when I should be looking for a potential possible husband and someone to settle down with and start a fmaily. Do I risk getting involved and two years down the line being single again, or end it now before it really starts and continue being single and back to looking for the one? Wonder if anyone has any advice? Been in a similar situation

I'd ask him if he's looking for the same kind of relationship. You may be in different stages of life.

I'm 27 and personally I couldn't see myself getting into a relationship with a 20 year old guy. I'd feel like we'd want different things and we'd run in different crowds too much to be able to have a solid relationship. To me, most 20 year old guys are into college parties and their friends whereas I at 27 am into very different scenes and we'd have two different outlooks on what's fun and important.

My advice is to go for it because every relationship is a risk no matter what the age of the love interest is. I say as long as this person treats you good who cares how old he/she is.

You probably didn't go out looking for a guy that age to date, it just happened to be the great guy you met was born when he was. Don't hold that against him!

I'm with a guy who is 9 years younger, I'm 29 and he is 20, so I know everything you are thinking! If the age thing doesn't bother him that should be a good sign for you to relax. I know you think he'll run but if you sit him down to discuss this stuff rationally he will appreciate it and be more open and honest with you.... I swear!

I told my 'boy' simply that I'd be wanting to start my life and possibly a family in 3-4 years and that even though that was a long time away, it wasn't really a long time away and I didn't want to waste either of our time/effort. He knows that at any time (with lots of warning) if I feel like I need to be at a level he is not ready for we will decide together and part if it's the best thing to do. But don't disregard his feelings and decide you know what he would want, include him in your thoughts and talk to him about it. He'll know you respect him and his opinions. Did I mention I had this talk with my guy about 3-4 weeks into our relationship? Yeah, he adores me just as much now, if not more

Have fun with your guy and enjoy your time with him. If he's a great guy now, just think of when he matures and grows with you into an awesome adult (and of course, have fun with the age gap thing! It can be funny and entertaining to joke about)

and has the age gap caused any issues? I have been out with men 6 years older just never anyone younger.

The main issue has been me being in full time education and her in normal employment... as goes issues about maturity there hasn't been much of a problem, but then she does act fairly young herself.

The main problems I would have to say are that she can be embarrassed about dating someone younger, or at least admitting it to friends, and that she knows we probably won't get engaged or anything anytime soon, it just wouldn't be practical because i'm both a bit young and not able to work for the next few years due to university.

To be honest, ours is a particularly complicated relationship, the age factor is probably one of our smallest worries, usually we forget about it.

My husband's 11 years younger than me. I was 37 and looking to get married when I met this arrogant little twit of a 26 year old. (Honestly, that was my first impression of him....arrogant little twit.)

Figured there was NO WAY he could be looking for the same thing I was looking for, so I brought up the fact that I was looking for a relationship leading to marriage sooner rather than later. His reply? That's what he was looking for, too. We got married less than a year after we met and have been married for a little over 7 years now.

Don't assume what "stage" someone is in based solely on their age. Ask them, listen to their answer, then figure out if your relationship goals are compatible.

Thank God that arrogant little twit of a 26 year old was also persistent...otherwise I was likely to blow him off based on age, and that would've been a HUGE mistake on my part.

When I was 21, I had a relationship with a 27 year old, but it suited me as I am very mature for my age, and act a lot older. I think it's all quite relative. You can have immature 30 year olds and mature 20 year olds. If it's someone that you like, then don't let age get in the way.

I would say that most girls around my age aren't quite mature enough so I am quite happy to date girls that are older.

Archived