The circle of relationship

matador1972

My therapist said an interesting thing yesterday.

When you are in a relationship, you are in a circle (think Meet the Parents, the circle of trust).

When your ex leaves you, he/she steps outside the circle, but leaves you standing in it on your own.

There are two outcomes, the first is to step outside of the circle yourself and let go. The second is to let them back into the circle and reunite.

Obviously where we are all just now is stuck inside our own circle, its a lonely horrible place to be, our circle fits two people, outside the circle has 7 billion people in it.

So peeps, start thinking of yourself in that circle all on your own and take the brave step to move outside it, its going to be scary at first, our circle is a safe place where the future was taken care off, where we know everything about it, but we cant live in it forever, at some point, you are going to have to step outside and smell the coffee.

Be brave, step outside your circle today and join life again, the circle will always be there if your partner wants to rejoin it, you can rejoin it too, but until that day, leave it alone, move on with your life and enjoy life outside the circle.

i stepped outside the circle pretty soon after the relationship ended. i'm wandering through the billions of people outside, but i can't help but look back at the empty space that could have, and should have been full. such a waste.

yup, i totally hear you, im still there just now, just really struggling with acceptance that my circle has gone, but it has gone and even if it came back, it wouldnt be a circle, it would be a round line with a few breaks in it that i could never repair.

In a way I wonder if your therapist was implying we need to step outside our own comfort zone as well and try new things especially with new people. Sometimes we tend to shut out the world and not risk getting hurt in any way after a breakup, turning down invitations to go out or meet new people can often be just as hurtful to recovery or to a greater extent, ones own self-growth.

Archived