Pain Medication Addiction

Hello,

I am a frequent reader but I don't post all that often. Unfortunately this one is not a happy fun one. I have been stealing my mothers pain medication and now my father caught me and have to deal with all consequences one might think come with that.

I am currently unemployed and living at home and do not have any health insurance. I am at the end of my rope and my dad is mad at me and won't really talk to me. This just happened yesterday (him catching me). I know he is ashamed of me and I cannot blame him. I feel like I have no where to turn. Anything anyone can offer would be great. I know this isn't going to be an easy journey but I do want help.

Look and reach deep inside of yourself and let this be an early lesson for you. Yes, I can see how embarassing it is but use it towards moving up and moving on. You need to sit down with your father and tell him how sorry you are. You obviously weren't thinking straight when you took the meds. I'm sure he's worried about their future with you in the house and if they can even trust you at this point. Not sure how old you are but,I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked to vacate the premises. So you probably want to head that off at the pass and get yourself together.

Sounds to me like you need a treatment program. Your doctor can refer you if you like. You are not the first person to become addicted to pain medication.

You mentioned not having health insurance. Massachusetts might have a chemical dependency program paid for by the state if you qualify.

Try calling the National Addiction Hotline at 800-559-9503

Theres a place called Palm Partners in your state

link removed

I can probably help you find others too. Give them a call and explain your situation. There is nothing to be ashamed of. It happens. Seek treatment and you will be on the road to a better life.

Sounds to me like you need a treatment program. Your doctor can refer you if you like. You are not the first person to become addicted to pain medication.

You mentioned not having health insurance. Massachusetts might have a chemical dependency program paid for by the state if you qualify.

Try calling the National Addiction Hotline at 800-559-9503

Theres a place called Palm Partners in your state

link removed

I can probably help you find others too. Give them a call and explain your situation. There is nothing to be ashamed of. It happens. Seek treatment and you will be on the road to a better life.

Thank you for your response. I called Palm Partners and explained that I am not insured or employed. The guy said that it will cost around $10,000 to $15,000 to go to their facility. But I will keep trying other places.

I know your dad is angry, but I hope he can understand that you can't just stop taking them cold turkey. Withdrawal can be difficult and sometimes dangerous. You should definitely be under the supervision of a doctor who may recommend withdrawing slowly and/or using other medication to address some of the physical symptoms of withdrawal. I hope you're able to find the help you need. Even if you weren't taking that much, withdrawal is still an issue. All the best!

I know of several people who have dealt with this type of addiction. It can be handled at home, with oversight by a doctor. The medication will be out of your system in about a week, and you can avail yourself of outpatient addiction programs if inpatient is too costly. Counseling and a support group can be very effective.

Look and reach deep inside of yourself and let this be an early lesson for you. Yes, I can see how embarassing it is but use it towards moving up and moving on. You need to sit down with your father and tell him how sorry you are. You obviously weren't thinking straight when you took the meds. I'm sure he's worried about their future with you in the house and if they can even trust you at this point. Not sure how old you are but,I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked to vacate the premises. So you probably want to head that off at the pass and get yourself together.

I am very fortunate that my family wouldn't kick me out. But I am unfortunate because I have a father that doesn't want to acknowledge when there is a problem and likes to just avoid it. I haven't seen him all day and he's usually home here and there. I think he's avoiding me. This is the part that kills me, because I want to talk to him but I think because its still so new that he is angry with me. He did talk to me once before he went to bed last night stating he put my yogurt in the fridge that I left out.

Here's another bomb: My mom is in the hospital. I am such a * * * * ty daughter. How could I do this to him or my mom.

I know your dad is angry, but I hope he can understand that you can't just stop taking them cold turkey. Withdrawal can be difficult and sometimes dangerous. You should definitely be under the supervision of a doctor who may recommend withdrawing slowly and/or using other medication to address some of the physical symptoms of withdrawal. I hope you're able to find the help you need. Even if you weren't taking that much, withdrawal is still an issue. All the best!

I know of several people who have dealt with this type of addiction. It can be handled at home, with oversight by a doctor. The medication will be out of your system in about a week, and you can avail yourself of outpatient addiction programs if inpatient is too costly. Counseling and a support group can be very effective.

I have to be honest, I am so scared and don't even know where to begin. I've already shamed my parents, I want to do this and I want to gain their trust back. I know my dad is probably hurt, angry and feels betrayed. I tried quitting a few months ago and the withdrawal was insane. When I went through that period my dad refused to think I was sick and that I had to suck it up. He had NO idea that I was going through withdrawal though.

I'm sorry it's so difficult. Are you a minor? If you can't talk to your dad about this, please talk to someone you can trust--maybe a relative or an adult in school, if you're a student. Try the numbers that Avman posted. Being addicted to painkillers is very common, so try not to be too hard on yourself. This is something that you can beat, but it takes more than willpower, and shame will not help. If you're a minor, you should be entitled to some type of help. And, if not, you need to take charge of your welfare--your dad obviously is having trouble with this, so you need to help yourself by using resources that are available. Again--hang in there and good luck.

Hope they can help you. In Minnesota we have a program called Rule 25 that provides chemical dependency treatment for people whether or not they have insurance. But not every state has something like this. So you have to hunt around sometimes to find a place that will do the trick.

Going into treatment will help you deal with the guilt you feel too. There is always more going on that feeds an addiction so they can help you focus on what needs to change in your life going forward.

It really will be ok. I'm glad you are open to seeking treatment. That's the big first step that lots of people can't even get themselves to do.

Thanks avman. The thing is, I had a similar issue like 8 years ago but overcame it. I'm lucky in a sense that right this second I'm not even caring about taking pain medication. Its been well over 24 hrs since I took my last pill because my dad caught me.

I just want it to get out of my system and never come back. So I don't know if I am the typical addict. But it certainly stems from something. And that something is what I want to get to the bottom of. I've gone to therapy but I could never be honest with my therapist because I was too ashamed and embarrassed.

Okay my dad just came in and talked to me. I thought he was avoiding me all day but he had to take a class for work. (He never told me this!!) We talked about how my taking the medication is a coping mechanism for being jobless, mother being ill and her being in the hospital. I explained that I am not a junkie in a sense that I would never take money and go out looking for someone to buy pills from.

He asked if I've been feeling any signs of withdrawal and I haven't. Like I said its been over 24 hours since I last took anything. My dad is an RN too.

Archived