HELP!! I'm losing the respect of my peers

grymoire

Thanks for your input Penelope. I just want to make sure certain things are clear.

I also find he did the right thing to cc the other people about this. Firstly this makes thing very transparent: he is making sure that this is not a personal vendetta towards you, he is also leaving a papertrail in case you do not improve your work performance it makes it easier for HR/ the managers to make a decision in regards to your employment. It also sends a message to the rest of the team: a) it's not ok to slack; b) everyone on the team is responsible to make sure that everyone is doing their part.

My team comprises of 3 developers and 1 test engineer. This guy is a developer and i am the test engineer. Among the other 2 developers one guy slacks as well and this guy asks him to do something like 4 or 5 times and then only he does. He himself told this to me while having the discussion. I just felt so bad that when it comes to me he sends out an official email and cc's the whole team. But he does not put the other guy in the spot. He just 'tells' him as opposed to emailing the whole team. Most likely because he is a fellow developer like him.

Also he kept telling that lot of processes need to be improved in testing but when i asked him "yes, i agree and we should also make sure that developers provide us the software build on time instead of missing the deadline by 2 days" he replied "that is how development is going to be... you just have to get used to it"

That said I still agree with you and everyone else that I need to improve my performance. I do not deny that at all.

You said yourself that you know what you should be doing, yet you lack the discipline. Knowing what you should be doing is apparently not enough motivation for you, thus this guy checking up on you (i.e. an outside force) constantly is the only way that you actually do what is expected of you.

This is the one that makes me feel extremely disappointed with myself Pen. I feel shameful and wonder why I am this way. I do know what I am supposed to do but yet did not do it, resulting in this guy picking holes with me

how much more time do you have to convince them of your improved work ethics?

and if I was you, I would assume that even if they didn't tell you a timeframe, management might have chosen already a date by which your performance has to have substantially improved, or they might terminate your contract.

how much more time do you have to convince them of your improved work ethics?

and if I was you, I would assume that even if they didn't tell you a timeframe, management might have chosen already a date by which your performance has to have substantially improved, or they might terminate your contract.

I agree...

Gosh... working in a job that you hate is one of the most depressing things that can happen to a person...

Do people need to be afraid in order to work better? Do they have to be threatened that management will end the contract if they do not perform well?

Do people need to be afraid in order to work better? Do they have to be threatened that management will end the contract if they do not perform well?

No, that is a last resort. Most people know that regardless if they like the job or not, if they want to get paid/ keep the job, they have to perform up to standard.

No, that is a last resort. Most people know that regardless if they like the job or not, if they want to get paid/ keep the job, they have to perform up to standard.

Ok, instead of asking so many questions let me ask this to you Pen.

Let's say you are me. You had to leave a job that you loved because of extenuating circumstances and arrive at a new job. You join the new job and find that this is only remotely related to all your previous jobs. In other words, your experience is going to play very little role in this new job. Next you find that your team-mates talk only about work the entire day... even during lunch. You also notice that your team-mates talk a LOT... and they are hell bent on complicating things in the name of improving processes. 1 hour meetings typically go up to 1.5 hours.. it becomes a routine... You feel lonely.. nobody to talk to the whole day... and when you go home you are again lonely because you are single... this is the same thing day in and day out...

what would you do?

I'm sure I mentioned in an earlier response that I really hated my previous job, nevertheless I worked overtime and did my utmost to deliver an excellent job. I also worked in jobs totally unrelated to my field and simply out of duty rather than wanting that job, and although I had no background knowledge I made a big effort to learn quickly what I had to do in order to deliver a good job. I have never, regardless of what the job was/ how much I liked the job/ how much I disliked the people (or they me) let this make a difference on my performance.

So if I was in your situation I would do the following:

- don't stay stuck in the past. there is no point in being nostalgic about my last position, if I can't return to it. past excellency in a job is not a justification to slack in my new position

- if I don't like the job (for whatever reasons) I would start looking into finding a new one, even if this means applying for a different visa or moving to another country; in order to help me get those necessary papers a good performance in my current position is essential. Nothing is more important than the references from your last position, so I would work especially hard

- although I prefer it if I am on friendly terms with my coworkers, I do not need them to be my friends. The more I dislike someone for personal reasons in a work environment, the more efforts I make to be courteous and professional with them. I need to be able to work with them, they don't need to become my buddies. If I wouldn't like to have lunch with them, I would join them regularly, but also sometimes have lunch outside/ with friends/ or read a book during lunch.

- if I feel processes/ meetings are inefficient - I would first take some time to get to know the group, prove that I am a valuable member of the group, that I can contribute something, and then I would start making suggestions in respect to improving things.

- the purpose for being at work is not socializing, thus I don't require work as a means to not feel lonely. Heck, I actually enjoy those days where there are not too many people around and I can focus on my own projects, rather than supervising my team while still working on my projects. and sitting on a computer all day gives enough opportunity to communicate with other people if time permits

- if I felt upset about being single, I would do whatever is in my power to make myself feel better about me and to improve my chances of finding someone (i.e. go to the gym, hang out with friends/ make new friends, volunteer, socialize ...)

As long as there is something that I could be doing in order to improve my life, I don't feel I really have the right to complain about my situation. When I was in situations that I felt I could do nothing to improve them, I invested a lot of time/energy/money into finding something else for me to do and take the necessary steps to get there, which sometimes simply meant to get through a situation/ bad job - but it never resulted in a bad job performance on my part.

Was today a better day? Did you put in a full day's work???

I seriously think this is an area you have GOT to put first.

yea, i think that should be the starting point...

right now i wake up at around 10am... check emails.. take shower... buy coffee.. and get to the office at 11:30am... i then come back home at 4pm.

in my previous job i used to be in the office at 10am and leave at 8:30pm.

the funny thing is in my previous job i had to take the train and travel for 1 hour to get to work. but still i was there no later than 10am. in this current job i just need to drive for 15 minutes...

this clearly shows how my performance is related to the way i feel about the job and my team mates.

yea, i think that should be the starting point...

right now i wake up at around 10am... check emails.. take shower... buy coffee.. and get to the office at 11:30am... i then come back home at 4pm.

in my previous job i used to be in the office at 10am and leave at 8:30pm.

the funny thing is in my previous job i had to take the train and travel for 1 hour to get to work. but still i was there no later than 10am. in this current job i just need to drive for 15 minutes...

this clearly shows how my performance is related to the way i feel about the job and my team mates.

Are you full time or part-time????? It SOUNDS like you're working for four and a half hours a day, so I'm guessing part-time?

If you're meant to be full time, are you that good that they can't afford to lose you? I don't want to nag, but if you're being paid to be full-time and you're coasting like that, you're going to lose your job sooner or later. Come on, Grymoire, this matter! All the other stuff you write about here is irrelevant if you get sacked, lose your job and lose your visa.

From a good place, honest! But seriously, you need to prioritise your work.

Are you full time or part-time????? It SOUNDS like you're working for four and a half hours a day, so I'm guessing part-time?

If you're meant to be full time, are you that good that they can't afford to lose you? I don't want to nag, but if you're being paid to be full-time and you're coasting like that, you're going to lose your job sooner or later. Come on, Grymoire, this matter! All the other stuff you write about here is irrelevant if you get sacked, lose your job and lose your visa.

From a good place, honest! But seriously, you need to prioritise your work.

I am full-time HP.

I am considered to be good with lot of potential. Note that I have mentioned that I manage to complete the tasks assigned to me. I get started at the very last minute but I get it done and meet the deadline. My manager and team-mates always think that I can do a much better job.... But they do not know that I hate this job and the people that I work with.

I do not wish to name the company but it is one of the stellar companies in the Silicon Valley. Getting in here is no joke!

All the other stuff you write about here is irrelevant if you get sacked, lose your job and lose your visa.

I completely agree with you. I started this thread and mentioned this problem once again because I myself have been very upset and disappointed with my mediocre performance... I am gonna be making changes. Its about time now.

Hi there,

Did you put more effort in for the rest of the week???? Hope so, Grymoire - so that you know you can't be pulled up for goofing off!

Thanks for following up HP!

I have certainly started putting in more effort. But to be honest I am yet to reach 8 working hours. I am currently at 6 hrs per day. And I feel it is major improvement because earlier I was at 2 hrs per day. I am hoping that by next week I will stabilize at a regular 8 hr per day.

just so you know grymoire - most people don't put 8 working hours into a day - they put 6. I am self employed so i put closer to 12 - but the majority of the workforce does not.

Just because this guy wants to spend all his time working, doesn't mean you have to - it's not about the hours but the quality and completion of the project. If you can find ways to make better use of your time, get the projects done more efficiently without sacrificing quality, then you have a leg to stand on. You don't need to work as hard and much as him - unless you want to. you just need to fully satisfy your obligations.

I know work is important, and obviously your visa is on the line so it is that much more important , but don't get yourself into the habit of working yourself to death. that is no kind of life.

I dunno, I put in about nine hours a day I usually go in about 9.30 and work till about 6.30. I know what you mean though - a good, solid six hours is probably okay.

I just think that Grymoire was really taking the mickey previously, and I think it's great he wants to change and improve - but he was barely THERE for about five hours, let alone working! I think doing a solid day for what you're paid for is vital, to be honest.

I'm pleased you're changing, Grymoire - I think that all your other threads, every single one of them, will pale into insignificance if you lose this job. But it does sound like you're making big changes, so well done!

but he was barely THERE for about five hours, let alone working! I think doing a solid day for what you're paid for is vital, to be honest.

Yep, I was going in at around 11am and got off at 4pm And i put in at most 2 hours of work in that window... now I am working on putting in more hours.

The company I work for is well known for its work culture... I can easily tell that it is on par with Google as far as work is concerned... People here are damn serious about their work.. Some come in at around 9 and leave at 10 In my previous job I went in at 10am and left no earlier than 8:30pm.. but that was a job that i liked..

Archived