Big fight over me going to therapy

bertdru

OK so I wanted to go to therapy as you guys have recommended. I have not done it yet.

I told my mother because I didn't want to hide it from her. She got angry and she spoke as if she felt guilty for everything. She was constantly saying she was a bad mother and she didn't do a good job raising me. She couldn't understand that it wasn't her fault and going to therapy doesn't mean there is anything seriously wrong with me. I finally had to calm her down saying I won't go.

I guess I will because I need to address my issues, right?

Keep these kind of things private. You don't need to tell your mother about this, especially since it's not some very serious issues and obviously she's not supportive. Seeking help is a very personal thing and should not be based on what others tell you.

When I was in middle school, I went to see the counselor and my mom found out. Unfortunately, the counselor was unprofessional and actually told my mom, who was also a teacher in the district. My mother got so upset--it seemed she felt guilty or worried about what others would think of her. I ended up not seeing the counselor again, which I think was a mistake. You should go, if you want to, and not worry about your mom. This is your life--that's what therapy is all about, taking charge of your own life.

Archived